TV Home Forum

BBC Salaries 2018/19 Revealed

(July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
HA
harshy Founding member
Gary’s Linekers wages are ridiculous, Dan Walker, Mark Chapman, Gabby Logan, Jason Mohammed all capable and they getting a fraction of big ears wages.

He’s not even presenting live premier league coverage just highlights.
JK
JKDerry
When I look at the BBC salaries list, I never expected Gary Lineker to be at the top. Graham Norton I would have guessed would have been the highest paid star on the BBC and okay rightly so. The Graham Norton Show is a huge success both in the UK and internationally. Great BBC Radio 2 show and he is fantastic as Eurovision host. But Lineker??

Gary Lineker paid that obscene amount for very little work in a year just smacks the face of every licence fee payer. We don't mind if they work for their money, but when it comes to Lineker, the man is not worth the money and if I was the BBC boss, I would allow him to leave to ITV, Sky, BT etc and bring in someone cheaper and better.
WH
Whataday Founding member
When I look at the BBC salaries list, I never expected Gary Lineker to be at the top. Graham Norton I would have guessed would have been the highest paid star on the BBC and okay rightly so. The Graham Norton Show is a huge success both in the UK and internationally. Great BBC Radio 2 show and he is fantastic as Eurovision host. But Lineker??

Graham Norton probably is the highest paid star on the BBC. The rest of his earnings being hidden behind the commercial pay wall.

The biggest surprise for me was when this initially came about and it was revealed that Gary Lineker was paid more for his BBC Sport work than Chris Evans was for the Radio 2 Breakfast Show.

I'm not one to gasp in horror at celebrity pay cheques, but Lineker's salary really doesn't help the BBC and it's particularly uncomfortable when you consider the amount of sports coverage the BBC has lost due to budgetary constraints.
AN
Andrew Founding member

Gary Lineker paid that obscene amount for very little work in a year just smacks the face of every licence fee payer. We don't mind if they work for their money, but when it comes to Lineker, the man is not worth the money and if I was the BBC boss, I would allow him to leave to ITV, Sky, BT etc and bring in someone cheaper and better.

Graham Norton probably is at the top, but anything he makes from his chat show isn’t included, as it’s not paid directly by the BBC.
JO
Jon
Gary’s Linekers wages are ridiculous, Dan Walker, Mark Chapman, Gabby Logan, Jason Mohammed all capable and they getting a fraction of big ears wages.

He’s not even presenting live premier league coverage just highlights.

Well the latter is irrelevant he’s presenting the most watched Premier League coverage in TV.

Presumably they could source MOTD to an indie and get the indie to pay Lineker?
BR
Brekkie

Graham Norton is on air for 45 minutes around 24 Friday nights a year, plus one night at Eurovision and his weekly radio show, which goes off air for the summer.

Lineker is on air for 90 minutes for around 30 Saturdays a year, plus hosts a dozen or so FA Cup Games on location and up to 28 World Cup games last year, meaning a month away from home.

And do you really think the BBC could get away with axing him and giving Gabby Logan his job at half the price? Now the rate is public the rate is set.
Last edited by Brekkie on 8 July 2019 8:01pm - 2 times in total
JK
JKDerry

Graham Norton probably is at the top, but anything he makes from his chat show isn’t included, as it’s not paid directly by the BBC.

If the BBC pay Graham part of his salary for his talk show from revenue of BBC Studios, this means not a penny of licence fee money is used to pay his salary and instead it comes from their commercial arm, who use the rights money paid by international broadcasters to air The Graham Norton Show in their country, to pay his salary - right?

If that is the case I would have no problem with Graham being the top earner, as it meant less revenue from the licence fee going to pay his salary.
JO
Jon

If the BBC pay Graham part of his salary for his talk show from revenue of BBC Studios, this means not a penny of licence fee money is used to pay his salary and instead it comes from their commercial arm, who use the rights money paid by international broadcasters to air The Graham Norton Show in their country, to pay his salary - right?

No. The BBC pays So Television/ITV Studios an amount of money from the licence fee to produce the show and pay the talent.

So Graham’s cost would be taken into account by ITV in the cost they charge the BBC to produce the show.
JK
JKDerry
Jon posted:

No. The BBC pays So Television/ITV Studios an amount of money from the licence fee to produce the show and pay the talent.

And then So Television pays Graham his salary? Is that right?
JO
Jon
Jon posted:

And then So Television pays Graham his salary? Is that right?

Yes.
JO
Jonwo

Graham Norton is on air for 45 minutes around 24 Friday nights a year, plus one night at Eurovision and his weekly radio show, which goes off air for the summer.

Lineker is on air for 90 minutes for around 30 Saturdays a year, plus hosts a dozen or so FA Cup Games on location and up to 28 World Cup games last year, meaning a month away from home.

A d do you really think the BBC could get away with axing him and giving Gabby Logan his job at half the price? Now the rate is public the rate is set.

Graham does around 32 episodes excluding the two compilation shows.

If that is the case I would have no problem with Graham being the top earner, as it meant less revenue from the licence fee going to pay his salary.

BBC Studios don't make Graham Norton, it's So Television which is owned by ITV Studios.
JK
JKDerry
Jonwo posted:

A d do you really think the BBC could get away with axing him and giving Gabby Logan his job at half the price? Now the rate is public the rate is set.

Graham does around 32 episodes excluding the two compilation shows.

BBC Studios don't make Graham Norton, it's So Television which is owned by ITV Studios.

BBC Studios sells the broadcasting rights of his show to international broadcasters such as BBC America, BBC UKTV Australia, Virgin Media Ireland, BBC Canada etc? Or is that ITV Studios - I am asking for information here, as I would like to be informed.

Newer posts