« Topics
Lou Scannon1,189 posts since 1 Jan 2016
HTV West Points West
Maybe they don't want "average viewers" in certain (sub)-regions to stumble upon their familiar presenters sat in front of a different backdrop talking about news from a neighbouring area, thus giving the game away about the pre-recording and resource-sharing that occurs?

Anglia seem to be the only region (?) no longer bothered about this, as they started regularly uploading their east & west 6pm programmes a fair while back.

Disappointed that other regions haven't followed Anglia's lead.
I'm still a European.
watchingtv gave kudos
marshmallow359 posts since 4 Nov 2015
Yorkshire Look North (E.Yorks & Lincs)
Maybe they don't want "average viewers" in certain (sub)-regions to stumble upon their familiar presenters sat in front of a different backdrop talking about news from a neighbouring area, thus giving the game away about the pre-recording and resource-sharing that occurs?

Anglia seem to be the only region (?) no longer bothered about this, as they started regularly uploading their east & west 6pm programmes a fair while back.

Disappointed that other regions haven't followed Anglia's lead.

It’s already not much of an illusion when a sizeable chunk of viewers, ie those whose subregion isn’t in HD, already see the same presenters fronting a different programme when flicking between HD and SD.
Lou Scannon and Spencer For Hire gave kudos
cityprod1,978 posts since 3 Oct 2005
Westcountry Spotlight
On Freeview, no part of the West Country is lucky enough to have either/both version(s) of West Country on ITV HD.

It's Central West on HD, all the way down to Cornwall & the Isles of Scilly. Rolling Eyes

Utterly pathetic, ITV. Thumbs down

The same applies on Virgin Media, but on Freesat and Sky, you have the correct sub-region for Westcountry. Why that can't be done on Freeview, I have no idea.
Lou Scannon gave kudos
Lou Scannon1,189 posts since 1 Jan 2016
HTV West Points West
Even if it was just the "East" (ex-HTV) version pan-regionally, that'd at least be arguably "less wrong" even for Devon & Cornwall viewers (i.e. it'd at least be the correct programme name, familiar presenters, some news stories from overlap areas (e.g. Taunton) that are in both sub-regions anyway...)

And even Cornish viewers getting commercials for the likes of Wookey Hole wouldn't be quite as extreme as getting commercials for shows at the Birmingham Hippodrome!
I'm still a European.
Markymark7,074 posts since 13 Dec 2004
Meridian (North) South Today
On Freeview, no part of the West Country is lucky enough to have either/both version(s) of West Country on ITV HD.

It's Central West on HD, all the way down to Cornwall & the Isles of Scilly. Rolling Eyes

The same applies on Virgin Media, but on Freesat and Sky, you have the correct sub-region for Westcountry. Why that can't be done on Freeview, I have no idea.

The same reason BBC 1 HD regions can’t be launched, money, the cost/benefit doesn’t stack up yet for ITV or the Beeb
cityprod1,978 posts since 3 Oct 2005
Westcountry Spotlight

The same reason BBC 1 HD regions can’t be launched, money, the cost/benefit doesn’t stack up yet for ITV or the Beeb

Sorry don't buy that. It wouldn't cost any more to change the feed to the transmitter, especially because I believe they're satellite delivered now, so the actual cost of changing the feed should be minimal.