TV Home Forum

Home and Away

Future in doubt (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BM
BM11
It's still bizarre because they would have been reached for a statement immediately, and any hesitation seems a bit odd.

Perhaps they are preparing to announce a slot move or move to Seven's sister channel.
ZE
zeebre12
Surely moving it to a sister channel can't be good? Is it doing that bad ratings wise on the main channel. Won't the ratings be a lot lower if it's moved to a sister channel? Why not keep it on the main channel? What good will it do?
SL
Shaun Linden
Well Neighbours has been on a digital channel for a few years now in Australia and is plodding along nicely.
Colorman and watchingtv gave kudos
SC
Si-Co
Well Neighbours has been on a digital channel for a few years now in Australia and is plodding along nicely.

Neighbours conveniently helps Ten meet their local (ie Australian) content quota on the multichannel, which I believe is 20%. It’s popularity in the UK is propping the series up too. If it had stayed on the main channel it may have been axed already.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Jonwo posted:
Doesn't Seven have a drama quota which H&A fills comfortably so realistically if H&A were to be axed, Seven would have to replace it which would cost too much,

Unless they created a new soap in conjunction with a British broadcaster?
JO
Jonwo
Jonwo posted:
Doesn't Seven have a drama quota which H&A fills comfortably so realistically if H&A were to be axed, Seven would have to replace it which would cost too much,

Unless they created a new soap in conjunction with a British broadcaster?

It’s been done before with Headland which flopped miserably and Out of the Blue also did badly.
BR
Brekkie
Even the person who wrote the story has now dismissed the story. Essentially the UK press picked it up and did what I think is known as a "TV Forum" on it.
RE
Revolution
Si-Co posted:
My recollection of H&A on ITV were the closing credits being shortened over time and the show being all over the place on the regions. Some as early as pre-CITV slot, others later.

I never used to watch it but sometimes used to catch the end and the credits always seemed to be just the Home & Away logo and 7 endcap.

Yes - from about 1994 most ITV regions cut the closing credits down to the last couple of frames. Eventually everyone did. They weren’t seen in full again until the move to Channel 5 (or the occasional repeat of an old episode shown by ITV during the World Cup etc).

The early 00s episodes were pretty good, but it started to go downhill around the mid-00s. I no longer watch it, but I heard that last year they had a retcon storyline where Alf’s first wife turned up alive and well, and Alf had seemingly known this since 1988. Said ex-wife made a half a dozen guest appearances then disappeared again restoring the status quo. A ridiculous storyline that undermined so much of what had gone before! Another retcon saw Colleen Smart (Lance’s mother) turn out to be Alf’s sister. Alf had previously had an affair with her illegitimate daughter, who was now his niece. Messy.

As seen here (they removed the 'Home and Away' logo which appeared on the final shot, before commercial breaks in Australia. Strangely the BBC always kept on the 'Neighbours' one):

And a hotline to get up-to-date on storylines! Very Happy
SC
Si-Co
The BBC also (usually) edited out the “Neighbours” super/caption that appeared at the end of each episode (and the ad-breaks of course). On Ten, there was normally an ad break and next episode preview between the last scene of the episode and the closing credits. See here:

Original Aus format:

BBC version:

This episode differs slightly as there was normally a freeze frame at the end of the final segment in Australia in that era. If you skip through, it’s interesting to see how much footage was sometimes cut out when disguising the ad-break points. Sometimes the BBC swapped scenes around too to avoid “jump cuts” where the same “scene” continued after the ad break. By the mid to late 90s the BBC were receiving clean copies without ad-break supers and with additional establishing shots inserted where necessary to join two parts together.
JB
JasonB
Si-Co posted:
The BBC also (usually) edited out the “Neighbours” super/caption that appeared at the end of each episode (and the ad-breaks of course). On Ten, there was normally an ad break and next episode preview between the last scene of the episode and the closing credits. See here:

Original Aus format:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR34ISysYQc

BBC version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrQJX7vCs6w

This episode differs slightly as there was normally a freeze frame at the end of the final segment in Australia in that era. If you skip through, it’s interesting to see how much footage was sometimes cut out when disguising the ad-break points. Sometimes the BBC swapped scenes around too to avoid “jump cuts” where the same “scene” continued after the ad break. By the mid to late 90s the BBC were receiving clean copies without ad-break supers and with additional establishing shots inserted where necessary to join two parts together.

I'm watching some UK Gold editions from 1986 on Daily Motion and the freeze frame at the end has been visible without the Neighbours logo appearing at the end. Also the BBC/UK GOLD edits have a horrible edit of the end theme on them. It's not that much but you can tell there's an edit on the instrumental after the first verse .
SC
Si-Co
Si-Co posted:

Original Aus format:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR34ISysYQc

BBC version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrQJX7vCs6w

I'm watching some UK Gold editions from 1986 on Daily Motion and the freeze frame at the end has been visible without the Neighbours logo appearing at the end. Also the BBC/UK GOLD edits have a horrible edit of the end theme on them. It's not that much but you can tell there's an edit on the instrumental after the first verse .

The freeze frame is down to how the BBC edited them - freezing the VT just at the point of the real freeze frame (or a fraction of a second before it) so the Neighbours logo wouldn’t pop up. Yes, the BBC used a shorter edit of the closing theme for the first 18 months or so (for a while they used the opening theme at the close of episodes too). This “BBC edit” shortened the words “day”, “away”, “blend” and “friends” and the final guitar riff. I didn’t realise that wasn’t the Aussie closing theme until they started using the full unedited version. The full version actually sounded a bit weird until I got used to it.

Way off topic but interesting!
WH
Whataday Founding member
This cap suggests the UK edit was contracted out to West One Television during the 90s:

http://www.meldrum.co.uk/mhp/images/westone.jpg

Newer posts