« Topics
8baan (previously EenNederlander) 89 posts since 9 Jun 2018
BBC World News
Quote:
Might as well reveal I'm doing next week's ITV Creates and here it is:

I was inspired by ITV's broad range of shows, which is why I've used the different fonts. The chipboard represents the fact I love how each show is put together, like engineered wood.

Looking forward to seeing this lovely creation on my screen! It will probably be the best ITV Creates of this year.
JEROEN PAS OP BIJ DAT VUUR
Chyron, DeMarkay and fanoftv gave kudos
Josh1,285 posts since 21 Dec 2014
Not sure if this was already mentioned but the ITV brands are changing their social media profile pictures to a rainbow colour. Is this for Pride today or has it been like this for a while
Fan of the media industry, from the UK.
Steve in Pudsey10,720 posts since 4 Jan 2003
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Not sure how I feel about ITV News doing that. Not through any objection to Pride or the LGBT community, but because the Pride movement is, in part, a political/campaign group. I would question whether an impartial news organisation should show support in that way.

It potentially makes things a bit difficult if, for example, they interview Ann Widdecombe about her recent ridiculous comments on homosexuality. There is an easy target for people to claim that it was biased.

Just to clarify in case it's necessary - I am questioning whether a news organisation should be demonstrating support for Pride rather than having any issue with Pride myself.
Write that down in your copybook now.
Charlesy and Larry the Loafer gave kudos
Brekkie34,045 posts since 4 Jan 2003
HTV Wales Wales Today
It potentially makes things a bit difficult if, for example, they interview Ann Widdecombe about her recent ridiculous comments on homosexuality. There is an easy target for people to claim that it was biased.

There shouldn't be any requirement to be "neutral" when it comes to bigotry.
Stay Home. Protect the NHS. Save Lives.
bilky asko5,700 posts since 9 Sep 2006
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
Not sure how I feel about ITV News doing that. Not through any objection to Pride or the LGBT community, but because the Pride movement is, in part, a political/campaign group. I would question whether an impartial news organisation should show support in that way.

Just to clarify in case it's necessary - I am questioning whether a news organisation should be demonstrating support for Pride rather than having any issue with Pride myself.

Are you for or against Poppies being worn on-air on ITV News at the relevant time of year?
JT95 gave kudos
JT9517 posts since 6 May 2018
Yorkshire Look North (E.Yorks & Lincs)

I think calling the LGBT+ community a “political/campaign group” is very patronising and insensitive. Would/do you say the same if ITV gave public support to an anti-racism movement?
Whataday and james-2001 gave kudos
Larry the Loafer5,764 posts since 2 Jul 2005
Granada North West Today
I think the issue lies with big corporations showing LGBT support and the debate over whether they're only doing it for good press and increased sales.

As for an impartial news organisation I'm not so sure. I, and I'm assuming the majority of us on here, think showing support towards the LGBT community is a good thing, but from the point of view of people with different political opinions, we're the ones in the wrong.

ITV won't look like the good guys to more conservative/religious folk and from their view, their impartiality will no longer be apparent.
Steve in Pudsey gave kudos
Jon8,409 posts since 11 Apr 2005
Central (West) Midlands Today
Well an anti-racism group is a ‘political/campaign’ group. But that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t supported. I think there is a judgement call to make for broadcasters and the way I see it is any views that are against pride events are very much in the minority and should be regarded as an extreme view so nothing something that needs to be taken in to consideration.

Steve in Pudsey has raised a fair point and there is no need to take aim at him as it’s clear he doesn’t harbour any anti-pride/anti-gay views himself.
Steve in Pudsey, Brekkie and Larry the Loafer gave kudos
gottago3,011 posts since 26 Aug 2004
London London
I don’t know if they’ve been streaming live on Facebook but they have on Twitter of the London Pride parade. I wonder if they will be doing the same at Brighton & Manchester prides in August. If not then why just London Pride?

Because London Pride is by far the biggest in the UK and one of the biggest in the world. People travel both nationally and internationally for it and it ends near Parliament so it makes sense that it gets more coverage.
Jon8,409 posts since 11 Apr 2005
Central (West) Midlands Today
I don’t know if they’ve been streaming live on Facebook but they have on Twitter of the London Pride parade. I wonder if they will be doing the same at Brighton & Manchester prides in August. If not then why just London Pride?

Because London Pride is by far the biggest in the UK and one of the biggest in the world. People travel both nationally and internationally for it and it ends near Parliament so it makes sense that it gets more coverage.

Pretty much every city has some sort of pride event now, if you covered each one that would lose the impact. It’s almost like London Pride has very much adopted as the national event.