The Newsroom

Unflappable Reporters/Anchors/Presenters

Examples of Reporters/Presenters when the unexpected happens (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MO
Mouseboy33
Darla Miles - WABC NY - Wow that was smooth. Eyes barely moved from the camera when she noticed the gentleman approaching. I love how she kept it there afterwards, seemingly daring anyone else to try to walk across.

RN
Rolling News
Martine Croxall - BBC News. The whole studio could collapse and she would instantly find a witty way to get through it.
SE
SE4TV
I think this sums up Martine perfectly from her Wiki page

On 13 November 2015, she was the BBC's main presenter on the November 2015 Paris attacks. Emmy Award-winning former CBS Network News correspondent David Henderson wrote of Croxall's handling of the Paris attacks coverage:

“ Despite the unspeakable carnage and utter chaos across central Paris, a no-nonsense BBC World News presenter brought level-headed clarity to the attacks and horror in Paris with an understated, professional style that was a reflection, I believe, of television's great news anchors, like Walter Cronkite, Peter Jennings, and Dan Rather.
Her name is Martine Croxall, whose regular shift is to present late-night newscasts for BBC News. But, Friday, November 13, was different.

As BBC's massive global series of networks – largest in the world – were harnessed together, Ms. Croxall calmly yet credibly informed us from BBC studios in London of the fast-developing events in Paris. She was live to a global television audience of millions … nonstop, for two and a half hours. Her demeanour was extraordinary, free of the drama, showbiz hype, and tawdry behaviour we endure from many television newscasters in America.

She listened intently to remote reports from BBC News correspondents on the scene in Paris, and on occasion, politely corrected something said that could be misunderstood as speculation or not substantiated.

It's been decades since I've witnessed such a high level of journalistic professionalism. Downright exciting. And, I have every hope and belief that Martine Croxall's star will shine even more brightly at BBC News.

And, here's a most interesting caveat – not once did Ms. Croxall tell us her name, not once did BBC World News super her name during the hours she was on camera. She and they made it about communicating a world event.[5]
RD
RDJ
The BBC has such talent in Simon and Martine and somewhat to a lesser extent some of its other talent.

If the BBC conduct further budget cuts and the possibility of further redundancies, I would hate to think what we could lose.

Especially considering many of the other BBC newsreaders who were made redundant voluntarily or otherwise gave up news broadcasting altogether.
NE
News96
Martine Croxall - BBC News. The whole studio could collapse and she would instantly find a witty way to get through it.

Propably a good time to post this!

SuperSajuuk, watchingtv and davidhorman gave kudos
RN
Rolling News
And this!

IS
Inspector Sands
CBS station KCAL yesterday during the 7.1 magnitude earthquake:

and KTLA back in 2014:
VM
VMPhil
The KTLA video gained some notoriety at the time. I remember this in particular being used on message boards:

Whataday, dbl and elmarko gave kudos
IS
Inspector Sands
Yes, it was spoofed and commented on a lot. Despite the amusing initial reaction though they were very professional, straight under the desk then back up and reporting on it.

Very handy they had a live reporter to go to while they pulled themselves together and googled the USGS. The one time having a live shot on the screen screen behind them has been worthwhile too
Mouseboy33 and bilky asko gave kudos
RK
Rkolsen
CBS station KCAL yesterday during the 7.1 magnitude earthquake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG4_HzwRRqY

and KTLA back in 2014:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPKEgO4Ojmk

The KCBS, KNBC and KTTV were live until 3am. They were live during several live shots either in Ridgecrest (the epicenter) or minor shaking at Cal Tech / USGS.

If the reporters were in a building or van it’s seemed like it was much more noticeable versus if you were outside on solid ground it seemed.

Edit : If you scroll a minute in you can see a report live where another earthquake took place (I believe it may have been a 5.4? that woke people up) on Telemundo earlier Friday (for their morning show):

Last edited by Rkolsen on 6 July 2019 5:57pm
MO
Mouseboy33
I always marvel at how smooth and calm some reporters and presenters are when they have to continue to diseminate information even thought they are watching a disaster happen live and even when their colleagues get overwhelmed.

KWTV - (Disregard the Stormchasers voices. They arent journalists or tv professionals.)
In this your hear the lead meteorologists and the lead presenters smoothly and calmly continue to do their jobs. At one point the Chopper pilot get a little overcome and the lead presenter takes over for him. At one point the female presenter has a little sniffle off camera, but they keep plowing thru. Marathon 8-12 hours or more coverage.

KFOR - Plaza Towers Elementary School destroyed. Again ignore Stormchasers)
One of the reporters on live on the phone at the scene gets overwhelmed. The lead anchors calm him down and he carries on in an very very difficult situation involving small children killed in a school. All shown seconds after the tornado swept over a neighbourhood hitting 2 schools
ST
stuartfanning
Here is how CNN Headline News handled incoming breaking news and video of 9/11. Anchors were Rudi Bakhtiar and Charles Molineaux. She seemed out of her depth and Molineaux took over.

https://youtu.be/DMTQaSKE5tA

Newer posts