TV Home Forum

BBC Salaries 2018/19 Revealed

(July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AN
Andrew Founding member
The BBC have announced the salaries that the top talent receive.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48826586

The Highest paid is Gary Lineker, the highest paid in news is Huw Edwards, the highest paid female is Claudia Winkleman.

The person who has received the biggest pay cut is Jeremy Vine, with Jo Whiley receiving the biggest rise.

The full list is here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48839428
BR
Brekkie
Really does benefit nobody other than the BBC bashers to release this info.

Cue BM11 in...
Stuart, Custard56 and rob gave kudos
JA
james-2001
Cue BM11 in...

How long until the BBC's closed down this time?
LO
lobster

Cue BM11 in...

Are you sure about that?

I think it has actually highlighted some serious failings within the BBC to pay it's people fairly rather than what it can get away with...I wish every workplace had to do it....btw, thinking of Carrie Gracey here but I'm sure there are many others we didn't hear about who were significantly underpaid compared to colleagues.
HA
harshy Founding member
What shows does Vanessa Feltz present that she gets that much money?

Gary Linekers pay seems to be way above anyone else id love to be earning that much money but no I have to do my job on peanut wages!
:-(
A former member
I just can not comprehend how Lineker warrants that salary.
JA
Jake
What shows does Vanessa Feltz present that she gets that much money?

Early breakfast on Radio 2 as well as breakfast on Radio London (and some Jeremy Vine cover).
IT
itsrobert Founding member
I really cannot find it within myself to care about these people splitting hairs over a few £100,000s as if we're supposed to be somehow upset that so-and-so doesn't get as many millions as someone else. What I want to know is what organisations like the BBC are doing about improving pay at the lower end of the salary scale. Those are the people who matter most in any organisation.
SP
Steve in Pudsey

Cue BM11 in...

Are you sure about that?

I think it has actually highlighted some serious failings within the BBC to pay it's people fairly rather than what it can get away with...I wish every workplace had to do it....btw, thinking of Carrie Gracey here but I'm sure there are many others we didn't hear about who were significantly underpaid compared to colleagues.

The different is that at this end of the scale, people are paid whatever they (or more likely their agent) can negotiate, so to bring gender pay gaps into it is a somewhat false equivalence. It's down to how in demand an individual is.

So, Gary Lineker is pretty unique as a high profile ex-footballer who is a good enough broadcaster that he can host the show rather than just be a pundit. Sky, BT and others would love to have him work for them, so the BBC have to pay the going rate if they want to keep him.
HC
Hatton Cross
And as Private Eye will point out in the next issue..
When the Daily Mail, Express, Star, Torygraph, Times go lumping in all print fists pumping on the BBC tomorrow, all will conveniently ignore to reveal the huge pay gaps within their own newspapers.

Oh, saying those publishers are private companies (and mostly owned by off shore tax avoiding owners) so it's a different issue - is not an excuse.
It's still pay. Whether it's from the public purse or not.
AN
Andrew Founding member

Cue BM11 in...

Are you sure about that?

The different is that at this end of the scale, people are paid whatever they (or more likely their agent) can negotiate, so to bring gender pay gaps into it is a somewhat false equivalence. It's down to how in demand an individual is.

So, Gary Lineker is pretty unique as a high profile ex-footballer who is a good enough broadcaster that he can host the show rather than just be a pundit. Sky, BT and others would love to have him work for them, so the BBC have to pay the going rate if they want to keep him.

Of course Gary already works for BT Sport as well, so if the BBC did cut his wages would he really leave?

There is no combination of weekly high profile premier league work, the massive gig of doing summer tournaments, and also being able to work somewhere else at the same time, with any other broadcaster. Maybe they should call his bluff, although to be fair I imagine he’ll never get a pay rise now, he’ll be stuck on that amount forever.

Also I have to say, if top BBC salaries was a question on Pointless, I think you’d get a good score picking Jason Mohammad.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
It's a fair point, but if BT wanted him to do their Saturday night highlights show it might be a different matter.

Newer posts