TV Home Forum

UTV - From City Quays 2 onwards

Split from UTV rebrand (July 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JK
JKDerry
UTV as a franchise (which technically it still is) does not commence until 9.25am each day, so there is no surprise that the ITV logo was seen during Lorraine. It would also be seen to viewers on STV as well I am sure.
DB
dbl
Just watching Lorraine on UTV with an itv dog on screen mmmmm seems to me as it is happening more and more itv are filtering the generic itv name into Northern Ireland won't be long now before utv is gone completely.

STV/UTV doesn't start their broadcast day until 9:25, therefore you're watching ITV Breakfast, hence the ITV DOG.
RI
Richard
TVDP posted:
Always the ITV dog during ITV Breakfast isn't ? UTV starts at 9.25.

Unless it’s changed - I thought that since the rebrand they had the UTV dog between 6am and 9:25. As ITV owns both franchises it makes sense to have joined up branding.
MR
mr_vivian
Sometimes it shows the itv dog - I've seen it on lorraine an odd time. It's as if they forgot to flick a switch somewhere.
KE
kernow
TVDP posted:

Unless it’s changed - I thought that since the rebrand they had the UTV dog between 6am and 9:25. As ITV owns both franchises it makes sense to have joined up branding.

Does UTV show UTV trailers between 6:00 and 9:25, or it is just ITV trailers.

If it's just ITV trailers, it's not exactly joined up branding if there's a UTV DOG.
JK
JKDerry
TVDP posted:

If it's just ITV trailers, it's not exactly joined up branding if there's a UTV DOG.

ITV Breakfast controls what is aired from 6.00am until 9.25am and so all trailers would be ITV branded, even for viewers in STV.
OV
Orry Verducci

ITV Breakfast controls what is aired from 6.00am until 9.25am and so all trailers would be ITV branded, even for viewers in STV.

Just because ITV Breakfast control the airtime doesn't mean they have to air ITV branding. If ITV want to air UTV branding in Northern Ireland, they can, and now UTV is part of ITV they're probably happy to.

As said since UTV became fully integrated in ITV, they have been using the UTV DOG during breakfast. In this case where the ITV DOG made an appearance it's likely an automation playlist error, which is easily done given its played out from London alongside many of the ITV regions. I don't know what trailers are being used but it wouldn't surprise me if they are now also the UTV branded versions.

The reason STV see ITV branding in breakfast is mainly down to politics. Airing ITV branding is a way of showing they are in direct control of the output during breakfast hours, and more importantly raising awareness of the brand north of the border. In UTV's case these politics no longer apply as UTV is an ITV brand, unlike STV.
MR
mr_vivian
I'm really impressed how itv have ensured the UTV brand is included in most promos.

For example in the Soccer Aid advert they get Dermot to say "Only on UTV"

I can see every effort being made to keep the brand going for now. I was fully expecting them to phase it out much sooner than this.
PE
peterh
If they’re still recording a similar or same trail for stv as well as itv they can easily add utv to the list of organisations to mention
MR
mr_vivian
If they’re still recording a similar or same trail for stv as well as itv they can easily add utv to the list of organisations to mention

To be fair, it would be even easier not to mention any organisations.
PF
PFML84
I admit, it is still odd to hear the original voice over doing the final part of the trial and the odd time hearing celebrity voices saying "...on UTV".

27 days later

TI
This Is Granada
I believe the UTV idents will be updated from tomorrow the 1st of July to the 'summer set', so it's bye bye to 'windy beach', 'bottle-fed lamb', 'bowling alley', 'florist' and 'hook a duck', and I expect it will be 'suncream slapped onto back', 'dive bombing into pool', 'amazing big hats' + a couple more I can't recall at the moment we will have to endure bring played out in the same ordered loop pattern for the next 3 months (July-Sept).

The 3 'opt-out' idents will remain I expect, so 'Gymnastics' will opt-out the ident loop when its news, 'Pigeons' will remain for 'strong warnings', (i.e. upsetting scenes, violence, scenes which some viewers may find distressing), and 'welders' for more 'softer warnings' (strong language and adult humour).

Then the excitement of UTV's 60th draws ever closer, so who knows what we will get presentation wise? I hope we get some leaks to what they have planned at some point.....but as long as the ever professional and longstanding Julian and Gillian remain as the voices of the channel, then all will be good and UTV will continue to put to shame the awful announcers the BBC, ITV Network and C4 use these days.

Newer posts