TV Home Forum

UKTV Split terms agreed

BBC keep Seven, Discovery get Good Food, Home and Really. (April 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
KE
kernow
Any updates?

UKTV has split as of Monday.

Discovery now own Good Food, Really and Home, but UKTV continue to host their websites (links to T&C's etc link to Food Network with a contact address at Discovery for viewers) and VOD is on UKTV Play.

UKTV continues as a subsidiary of BBC Studios with the other channels. The direct links to Good Food, Really and Home have been removed.

Bizarrely, the links at the bottom of the Good Food website link to the TLC website, and the links at the bottom of the Really website link to the Food Network website.
JA
JAS84
That should definitely be the other way around, considering that Good Food will obviously now effectively be Food Network 2, assuming they don't merge them, and the same for Really and TLC.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Changes at UKTV at management level with BBC Studios personnel taking on roles at UKTV.

https://corporate.uktv.co.uk/news/article/uktv-unveils-new-executive-leadership-structure/
LL
Larry the Loafer
I went to see my Dad yesterday, and he was watching OFAH on Gold HD via Sky, and I couldn't help but notice the picture quality was rubbish. It seemed blurrier than usual, and you could tell during the end credits that the motion wasn't as smooth as it should've been. Would this just have been a dodgy copy of that specific episode, or have Gold started skimping on their picture quality?
VM
VMPhil
I went to see my Dad yesterday, and he was watching OFAH on Gold HD via Sky, and I couldn't help but notice the picture quality was rubbish. It seemed blurrier than usual, and you could tell during the end credits that the motion wasn't as smooth as it should've been. Would this just have been a dodgy copy of that specific episode, or have Gold started skimping on their picture quality?

Judging by your comment on the end credits not looking as smooth, it may be one of the episodes that they accidentally show with a film look or 25p instead of video look or 50i.

11 days later

AG
AxG
Discovery brings HGTV to the UK

Discovery is to launch its home renovation network HGTV into the UK and will reboot Channel 4 show How to Look Good Naked for its Really network in the country.

Discovery’s UK network Home will be rebranded as HGTV , one of the channel brands acquired by the company as part of its $14.6bn deal for US cabler Scripps Networks Interactive completed last year.
AD
adamiow
AxG posted:

Discovery is to launch its home renovation network HGTV into the UK and will reboot Channel 4 show How to Look Good Naked for its Really network in the country.

Discovery’s UK network Home will be rebranded as HGTV , one of the channel brands acquired by the company as part of its $14.6bn deal for US cabler Scripps Networks Interactive completed last year.

Pleased to hear my prediction from April is coming true...

If they decide to rebrand Good Food, they could always go with The Cooking Channel, which they majority own in the USA. It all probably depends on how keen they are to use the same brands around the world, as they could change Home to HGTV also.
GO
gottago
The move of Quest to channel 12 has had a big impact on the channel according to Broadcast:

Quote:
Quest’s best of the week was episode three of the fourth series of Aussie Gold Hunters (559,000/3%) on Monday at 9pm.

This is the best of this run so far – 241,000 more and nearly double the share of last week (318,000/2%) before the channel change. The opener of this run on 3 June drew 395,000/2%.

Meanwhile, Monday’s 8pm edition of Salvage Hunters (414,000/2%) is the best in that slot this year so far. The seventh episode of Dave’s Taskmaster, the second since the move to the Freeview #19 slot, drew 514,000/3% on Wednesday at 9pm, compared with 501,000/3% last week.

I think they're going to go heavy on commissioning a hell of a lot more for Quest, they've got a bigger reach now than they've ever had. Good to see Dave hasn't really been affected as well.
SH
Sh1ruba
AxG posted:

Pleased to hear my prediction from April is coming true...

If they decide to rebrand Good Food, they could always go with The Cooking Channel, which they majority own in the USA. It all probably depends on how keen they are to use the same brands around the world, as they could change Home to HGTV also.

What about Really? Would they rebrand it or merge it with one of theirs or even close it?
JA
JAS84
Did you miss the How to Look Good Naked announcement? Really is staying as it is.
ZE
zeebre12
The move of Quest to channel 12 has had a big impact on the channel according to Broadcast:

Quote:
Quest’s best of the week was episode three of the fourth series of Aussie Gold Hunters (559,000/3%) on Monday at 9pm.

This is the best of this run so far – 241,000 more and nearly double the share of last week (318,000/2%) before the channel change. The opener of this run on 3 June drew 395,000/2%.

Meanwhile, Monday’s 8pm edition of Salvage Hunters (414,000/2%) is the best in that slot this year so far. The seventh episode of Dave’s Taskmaster, the second since the move to the Freeview #19 slot, drew 514,000/3% on Wednesday at 9pm, compared with 501,000/3% last week.

I think they're going to go heavy on commissioning a hell of a lot more for Quest, they've got a bigger reach now than they've ever had. Good to see Dave hasn't really been affected as well.

Does this not compromise their pay TV channels? Why pay for Discovery when you can get the hit shows for free on Quest? Sky don't put their big shows on Pick. Why not premier them on the pay TV channels and later on Quest like Sky do?
LL
London Lite Founding member

Quote:

Does this not compromise their pay TV channels? Why pay for Discovery when you can get the hit shows for free on Quest? Sky don't put their big shows on Pick. Why not premier them on the pay TV channels and later on Quest like Sky do?

Nothing new for UKTV (and now Discovery) where they've made new commissions for the Freeview channels in addition to the pay ones.

Newer posts