TV Home Forum

Freeview channels thread

CBS, horror, DMAX, Blaze, Food network, Yourtv etc : IF It's MAJOR Change start a new thread. (January 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Josh
Al Jazeera Eng HD is no longer live on LCN 108 and is now an SD-only service of LCN 235.
MA
Markymark
Josh posted:
Al Jazeera Eng HD is no longer live on LCN 108 and is now an SD-only service of LCN 235.

There's also now an MHEG notice on 108 pointing you towards 235
KE
kernow
Chart Show Hits has rebranded to Global Hits, although it's still got the Chart Show logo.

Unlike previous rebrands (such as Chart Show Summer and Christmas Hits), I'm guessing this will be a permanent rather than a temporary rebrand, as I can't see any reason for this one being temporary.

I hope this isn't the start of them phasing out the Chart Show brand following the sale to Trace at the end of last year, as it really would be the end of an era if that ever happens.

Looks like the rebrand was only temporary, as Global Hits has now rebranded back to Chart Show Hits.
DM
DeMarkay

13 days later

KE
kernow
I've noticed that the listings and programme name DOGs for Chart Show Chats have today changed to "Can We Have A Chat", although it hasn't affected the graphics in the programmes yet.

Can't really understand why they've done this, as "Can we have a chat" isn't quite as catchy, and doesn't roll off the tongue quite as easily as "Chart Show Chat"

Having said that, today's changes together with the fact that Chart Show Chats have survived the various schedule changes since Trace took over shows that they are here to stay (for now at least).

Today's change does make me wonder if it's part of their plan to phase out the Chart Show brand prior to a rebrand, as Chart Show Chat was the only programme left in the schedule which still included "Chart Show" in the name, but if that is the case, the recent rebrand of Global Hits back to Chart Show Hits would contradict that, which makes it very difficult to work out what their plans actually are.

EDIT: Looking through the rest of the schedule, it would appear that this name change is linked to changing all of their listings to more informal/'chatty' programme names, which I don't really agree with, but is a sign of the times I suppose. For example, "Big Hits" has changed to "Yo...What's Good?", "New Music Now" has changed to "It is what it is...New Music" and "Top 10" has changed to "I Got A Text! Top 10"
Last edited by kernow on 19 June 2019 9:39pm - 3 times in total

8 days later

ZE
zeebre12
Home is to be rebranded as HGTV. Nothing on any changes to any other channels. They hardly need Quest Red and Really? https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/discovery-sets-hgtv-uk-gok-wans-how-look-good-naked-1221192
GO
gottago
Home is to be rebranded as HGTV. Nothing on any changes to any other channels. They hardly need Quest Red and Really? https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/discovery-sets-hgtv-uk-gok-wans-how-look-good-naked-1221192

Well they must do if they bought it and are making no changes to it. If they can have two successful brands in the same space there's no reason why they should close one. It's no different to Quest and DMAX really.
TT
TellyTime

Well they must do if they bought it and are making no changes to it. If they can have two successful brands in the same space there's no reason why they should close one. It's no different to Quest and DMAX really.

I think re-branding Home as HGTV is just the first step in the process of Discovery rationalising their operations in the UK and we might see something along the lines of:

Pay TV

Discovery - flagship pay TV channel aimed at men
TLC - flagship pay TV channel aimed at women

Discovery History - history programmes
Discovery Science - science programmes
Discovery Turbo - motoring programmes
Discovery Shed - DIY programmes
Investigation Discovery - crime programmes
Animal Planet - wildlife programmes

Eurosport 1
Eurosport 2

Free TV

Quest - flagship free TV channel aimed at men
Really - flagship free TV channel aimed at women

DMAX - secondary free TV channel aimed at men
DKISS - secondary free TV channel aimed at women (replacing Quest Red)

HGTV - home and garden programmes (replacing Home)
Cooking Channel - cookery programmes (replacing Good Food)
Food Network - food programmes
Travel Channel - travel programmes
LY
Lynetwork
I'm surprised they've done this so quickly, but ultimately I'm not surprised they've done this. HGTV is a strong brand in the US with a growing international presence, and Home isn't particularly a strong brand in the one market it does exist in, so it makes sense that they're swapping it with HGTV. It wouldn't surprise me if Good Food went down a similar route and became a UK version of the Cooking Channel.

(I might be wrong here but) doesn't Really have a bigger audience than Quest Red? I'm intrigued to see if they keep the Really brand as it's the strongest out of the UKTV acquisitions. Commissioning How to Look Good Naked is a good sign that Discovery sees potential in Really - they could have easily put it on Quest Red instead.
VM
VMPhil
Good Food could have been stronger if the magazine and TV channel worked together, but they don't. In fact the magazine got a new logo five years ago - the channel is still using the same branding from when it launched ten years ago (and UKTV Food was still using the original 2001 UK Food idents when it closed down)
BR
Brekkie
I guess the HG stands for Home and Garden. Not that sold on "HGTV" to be honest though - just looks like someone can't spell HD.
LL
Larry the Loafer
It's a pretty anonymous name in the UK and I've got no idea how well known it is in the US. It sounds horrifically generic and could literally stand for anything. I wasn't keen on the big UKTV rebrand way back when but at least Home pretty much tells you about the channel in one word.

Newer posts