TV Home Forum

New BBC corporate font: BBC Reith

To replace Gill Sans in print and on screen (May 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DE
deejay
Now it's beginning to appear on screen, it all feels rather anti-climactic and it just serves to remind me...

It's only a font.

But only on TVForum, things insignificant like this always feel like something much, much more.

Just seen it, I agree, there's hardly any difference on the Weather at least, maybe the typeface oozes a bit more quality. Most viewers probably wouldn't notice. I think Reith will make more impact when it launches on BBC News with the all new tickers, lower thirds and all that.

As has been pointed out a few time’s the whole point is that most viewers won’t notice the difference. The difference between Gill, Helvetica and Reith Sans is very slight. I think once the new designs which use the serif and italic fonts begin to be used more intensively then you might feel less of an anticlimax.
MO
Moz
...once the new designs which use the serif and italic fonts begin to be used more intensively...

Whenever that may be!
MO
Moz
benjy posted:

Although on closer inspection they’ve forgotten to switch a lot of those to Reith. Look at Ledaig compared to Invergarry (particularly noticeable on the ‘g’). You would think it would be a case of just making a global change, but seems not.

How the hell can a system use two different typefaces! This is such a mess!
HA
harshy Founding member
Seems it was rushed through rather then a fully tested approach.
GR
gregmc
Anyone got any plans in the pipeline for July 15th/16th? Cool
MO
Moz
Anyone got any plans in the pipeline for July 15th/16th? Cool

Come on then. What’s this pipeline - it’s been mentioned before. Is that the name for the red wiping line which now seems to be a theme?
SC
scottishtv Founding member
Moz posted:
How the hell can a system use two different typefaces!

SC
Schwing

Who on earth did the graphics and forecast charts? Was there really a need for that many names to appear on the map? It must have been for a bet.

Having lived in Scotland off and on for 25 years, I can't recall seeing the weather map look that cluttered before now.
SC
scottishtv Founding member
They just do it sometimes for the fly over animation, and include some lesser known places - possibly locations of weather stations?

It's fine when you see it animated. Because the forecast is for sunshine, the map would be quite blank otherwise.
JJ
Juicy Joe Founding member

The BBC are certainly implementing Reith as slowly and as gradually as they can, judging by the mix of fonts on the above graphics! Very Happy
HA
harshy Founding member
The weather with Reith dosent look quite right it’s the numbers they are too close together.
DA
davidhorman
I don't know if it's Reith or not - I can't yet instantly identify it by sight - but I've just the end of a trail for Nadiya's Time to Eat on BBC2 with the text starting in serif before animating to sans serif. Is that a common thing?

Newer posts