TV Home Forum

Sunday morning TV memories

Saturdays more forgotten partner in crime (June 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RI
Riaz
There were a small number of occasions when they both took "Morning Worship", but that was only if that programme was coming from a Scottish church.

Was the programme produced by Border from a church in the south of Scotland, or did it feature churches further north located well into STV / Grampian territory?
BR
Brekkie
What did ITV generally show from 9.25 to 11am in the eighties and early nineties then?
RD
rdd Founding member
I remember 'The Hour of Power' on Sky One. Murdoch supposedly wanted it to be a permanent fixture on the channel and it was FTA.

It’s still there, airing Sundays at 6:00am, it must easily be the longest running programme on Sky (it aired on the pre-1989 Sky Channel).
paul_hadley and Revolution gave kudos
MA
Markymark
Speaking of Morning Worship, and the various OB teams....

VM
VMPhil
rdd posted:
I remember 'The Hour of Power' on Sky One. Murdoch supposedly wanted it to be a permanent fixture on the channel and it was FTA.

It’s still there, airing Sundays at 6:00am, it must easily be the longest running programme on Sky (it aired on the pre-1989 Sky Channel).

Typically, I can't find it now, but recently someone on Twitter said they once emailed Stuart Murphy to ask him why it was still in the schedule, and he apparently had no idea it even existed!
SC
Si-Co
What did ITV generally show from 9.25 to 11am in the eighties and early nineties then?

Early to mid-80s I mentioned in an earlier post. The schedule was regional apart from Morning Worship, but generally the same programmes were shown around it but at different times depending on the region.

Adult Education/DIY/Hobbies (eg Crisis - The Energy Question; Me and My Camera; Be Your Own Boss; All About Toddlers) at 9am (before TVam days), 9.25/9.30 (some regions) or even 11.00. Link and Getting On (disabled magazines) fortnightly at 9.25 or 11.00 depending on the region. Morning Worship networked at 10am (except in Scotland it would seem). Farming programme, About Britain or similar, or even kids import (eg Kum Kum, Vicki the Viking) at 11.30. 12.00 Weekend World (networked).

I remember Tyne Tees used to show University Challenge or another quiz at 1pm, followed at 1.30 by Farming Outlook. STV and Border took the latter, but may have scheduled it differently.
CO
Colm
Looking through 70s/early 80s listings, when "Morning Worship" was shown at 10.00, UTV wouldn't start-up until 11am, with the first programme being the likes of "Getting On".

While some UTV church services were certainly networked, I believe some were only shown locally: one which springs to mind is a co-production with RTÉ c.1999, complete with Eurovision ident at start and end.

Services from the South of Scotland were most likely Border productions - magazine billings of the time feature a director credit for Harry King, a name associated with Border's networked children's programmes. Perhaps the most high-profile example of a Border-made service from Southern Scotland was the one commemorating the first anniversary of the Lockerbie incident, transmitted in December 1989.
TT
ttt
Last edited by ttt on 2 July 2019 2:36pm
SW
Steve Williams

The early eighties is in the above post, and as we went into the nineties, this always entertaining account can oblige.

That's in the summer (with the excitement of Schedule A and Schedule B), but in the winter it would be...

9.25 The Disney Club (in the winter from 1989, from 1987 to 1989 it would be a Sunday edition of No 73/Get Fresh/Motormouth/Ghost Train, and in the summer films and repeats)
10.45 Link, the magazine programme for disabled people
11.00 Morning Worship
12.00 Religious documentary (Visions there, also The Human Factor)
12.25 Regional programmes (This Is Your Right and Aap Kaa Hak on Granada, Goals on Sunday on Yorkshire)
1.00 News
1.10 Walden (or other current affairs shows like Special Inquiry)
TT
ttt
Last edited by ttt on 2 July 2019 2:39pm
PF
PFML84
I love the hidden 90's BBC 2 logo in the Channel 4 listings! Laughing
SP
Spencer
I love the hidden 90's BBC 2 logo in the Channel 4 listings! Laughing

Ha - took me ages to spot that. Laughing

Newer posts