TV Home Forum

Late night ITV changes

Jackpot 247 axed, replaced by repeats (June 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RO
rob Founding member
Quote:
Few discerning viewers will be saddened by the end of Jackpot 247 – ITV’s overnight gaming show. From 1st July, the overnight slot is being filled with…programmes. Mostly repeats of daytime programmes and factual output.

It is unclear whether this is just a temporary arrangement before another contract is agreed or a permanent move. However there is a little point of interest from the point of view of following the consolidation of ITV into a consistent national service. The overnight slot was a reminder of times past.

https://thetvroom.com/5974/blog/news-changes-on-the-way-for-late-night-itv/
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
Jackpot 247 still there at weekends though.
JO
Johnnie
There are rumours that ITV will show AEW's (wrestling) new weekly show from October. It'll air for 2 hours from 1am, probably on a Thursday morning.
Last edited by Johnnie on 22 June 2019 3:18pm
JK
JKDerry
I wish ITV would bother to air some decent programming overnight like they did back in the early years of overnight TV.

There are people who work shifts, can't sleep, looking after kids, are ill etc, who are up overnight and would want some decent programming instead of rolling news on BBC One and Jackpot nonsense on ITV.

How much would it cost ITV to air a few movies overnight? Not much, and would fill the five hour void each night, cheaply.

There are vast amount of films, even from 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s which could air, along with the usual repeats.

I remember the overnight ITN News bulletins broadcast too which ITV dumped back in the mid 2000s.
HC
Hatton Cross
Wasn't the overnight programming of 'old' with general and occasionally niche (if cheap budget) interest programmes, a fear of 'use it or loose it' from the ITC though?
Or even a franchise renewal box ticking exercise?

With those commitments gone from the broadcasting code, it's back to any old junk filler.
BR
Brekkie
Yes, they never really aired anything decent overnight but there was the odd gem which stood out. ITV aren't going to be commissioning anything new if they're still not commissioning anything post-News at Ten more than once or twice a week. That said they are offering a little bit more than perhaps they need to with a rerun of the Tour de France highlights and some random 3am archive repeats.
LL
Larry the Loafer
The argument against having anything "decent" on in the early hours is there's so much on demand content to choose from nowadays. As much as I'd like to see a return of anything specifically commissioned for after 12am, it just makes no sense.

But I certainly won't complain about Jackpot247 being replaced. I've seen All Star Mr & Mrs and Keep It In the Family repeated at 3am, and it's a shame that these now-seldom repeated shows are getting tucked away at such a late/early time.
JO
Jonwo
Ad revenue is so minimal overnight that even old movies would be too expensive. There’s a reason the programming tends to repeats.
RO
robertclark125
Ad revenue being so minimal reminds me that, in the early days of through the night, as STV called it, sometimes, they couldn't sell airtime on some ad breaks, and so the break was simply the "Through the night on Scottish" holding slide and music. Can't see it being any different nowadays in terms of trying to sell airtime.

Worth mentioning in October, the 2019 Rugby World cup takes place in Japan, and so some matches will be kicking off at say 5am our time. Would be interesting to see if any ad slots before a game can be sold.
VM
VMPhil
Jonwo posted:
Ad revenue is so minimal overnight that even old movies would be too expensive. There’s a reason the programming tends to repeats.

Lest we forget Granada thought night time TV such a bad idea that they held out on it for as long as possible, only giving in when the IBA threatened to create a new night time franchise.
JK
JKDerry
Interesting how in the US, late night is still popular. No where near the highs of the Johnny Carson era, but they still are part and parcel of their routine.

On the three main networks, the late night local news is at 11.00pm EST/PST or at 10.00pm CT/MT and so late night starts after these news programmes.

NBC have Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon and Late Night with Seth Meyers. CBS have Late Show with Stephen Colbert and the Late Late Show with James Corden. ABC have Jimmy Kimmel Live and Nightline. All pull in between 1 and 3 million viewers a night, but they still rake in millions of dollars in advertising.

I like the routine of a late night talk show. It is never meant to be a hard hitting programme, but something to ease you into sleep.
JO
Jonwo
^The US population is 300m so it can sustain late night shows.

Newer posts