TV Home Forum

BBC Oneness - idents and presentation

"Watch this space" as BBC Creative respond to ident change request (December 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NA
natwel27
So, recently I have had an unwarranted urge to examine the Oneness presentation as a whole, and in doing so I noticed something perculiar...

The stings are so much more interesting than the actual idents themselves. There are a variety of creative and intriguing angles offered, as well as actual camera movement and the people are actually DOING STUFF!!

I'd imagine that if you pieced the stings together and added music, we would have a much better Oneness.
Lou Scannon and Custard56 gave kudos
LY
Lynetwork
So, recently I have had an unwarranted urge to examine the Oneness presentation as a whole, and in doing so I noticed something perculiar...

The stings are so much more interesting than the actual idents themselves. There are a variety of creative and intriguing angles offered, as well as actual camera movement and the people are actually DOING STUFF!!

I'd imagine that if you pieced the stings together and added music, we would have a much better Oneness.

Oh absolutely, the stings are far more interesting than the idents. It actually captures much more of the 'relatability' factor that the idents fail at, since it shows what the people do and HOW they are connected, rather than just a group picture.

A compilation of stings from each group of people (particularly more action-based shots) + a simple soundtrack + the group picture at the end = something close to an actual ident. Still wouldn't be better than Circles but at least it would have some form of post-production other than just a logo.

In that form, most of the idents would fare better than they do now, though I imagine some of them are beyond saving...
Custard56 and natwel27 gave kudos
JF
JetixFann450

Mix them together, add a bit of music and- oh wait you've literally just made a similar concept to SRF1 but without a symbol.
BR
Brekkie

You don't need to imagine, you just need to find it. Someone here did that in the fairly early days of Oneness (think with the Mountaineers ident and stings) and it should be posted either earlier in this thread or in The Gallery and absolutely proved the point.
Last edited by Brekkie on 20 June 2019 10:46pm
JJ
Juicy Joe Founding member

I'm sure someone actually did some mocks of what you describe on here soon after Oneness launched.
JF
JetixFann450
I think the BBC has ditched the "BBC Three" ident on BBC One, judging from the archives of idents on TV Home. Does this mean that the BBC Three brand is being ditched?

They're still airing BBC Three programmes on that slot, but they aren't being branded as such anymore.
NA
natwel27
I think the BBC has ditched the "BBC Three" ident on BBC One, judging from the archives of idents on TV Home. Does this mean that the BBC Three brand is being ditched?

They're still airing BBC Three programmes on that slot, but they aren't being branded as such anymore.

Shame, it's very rare that decent idents are aired on BBC One these days.

In terms of BBC Three itself, I'm not sure. I feel as though the BBC ought to advertise their online channel, unless they have good reason not to.
Last edited by natwel27 on 21 June 2019 7:23pm
AS
Asa Admin

?? The strand is Mon-Wed and it was literally shown on Wednesday!

I see Banger Racers has shown up a couple of times this week. First time recording it since the site started back in September. Boxers was also MIA for a while too. Thankfully Sea Swimmers and Exercise Class continue to be*

*regional variations may apply
dbl, cylon6 and natwel27 gave kudos
NA
natwel27
Asa posted:

I see Banger Racers has shown up a couple of times this week. First time recording it since the site started back in September. Boxers was also MIA for a while too. Thankfully Sea Swimmers and Exercise Class continue to be*

I was surprised when seeing Banger Racers and Boxers as I hadn't seen it in what seems like a very long time. Hopefully they are pulling these idents out for a last hurrah.
TI
TIGHazard
Asa posted:

I could have sworn I've seen Banger Racers on screen since the site started. Maybe it was during the time the timings were off?

25 days later

MM
MMcG198
PA
paul_hadley
They’re not even trying to hide they are taking the piss 🤣

Newer posts