TV Home Forum

ITV abandons the South Bank

(February 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JK
JKDerry
ITV's main office HQ is at Waterhouse Square, but in terms of actual television studios, does ITV have any proper studio complex left that they fully own?

I know they have studios for Coronation St and Emmerdale, but in terms of general studios, they have none left right?

BBC at least have three studios at Television Centre and the stages and studios at BBC Elstree, shared with Elstree Film and TV.
WH
Whataday Founding member
BBC at least have three studios at Television Centre and the stages and studios at BBC Elstree, shared with Elstree Film and TV.

"The BBC" itself does not operate TVC or Elstree in the same way it did previously. They are run by BBC Studioworks meaning (as far as I know) they are completely open to the market and BBC productions do not get priority.

On the other hand, TVC 2 and 3 are sublet by ITV Studios and are theirs to do what they like with, 365 days a year.
BR
Brekkie
Get a sense of the space here - does look a very nice place to work.

http://twowaterhousesquare.com/

Was wondering if there was any potential to convert any space into studio space for their daytime shows but it doesn't really look like it to be honest.
IS
Inspector Sands
And whilst it isn't the LWT tower with all the history that's attached to it, it is (I would argue) a nicer place to work - bigger, open plan floors and you can actually get in and out of the building in less than 10 mins as the lifts actually do the job.

Well that was part of the reason for the whole south bank project - to provide better more modern accommodation. The small footprint of the tower and all the pokey corridors and bits fitted in between studios didn't make for open flexible modern workspace.

TV Centre was very similar - built in a different age
IS
Inspector Sands

Was wondering if there was any potential to convert any space into studio space for their daytime shows but it doesn't really look like it to be honest.

The problem with doing that isn't just the space -and its not just a case of just needing room for a studio floor* - but the infrastructure supporting the studio.

The studio and its technology needs extra air-conditioning plant and if they wanted to broadcast one of their daytime programmes from there some sort of backup power would be a good idea. This is the sort of plant that a regular office block doesn't have and retrofitting it isnt always ideal and you annoy your neighbours and the landlord with all the work.

I've worked at a broadcaster based in a floor of an office block in the centre of London, all the other floors were banks and ours was meant to be too, and it wasn't ideal. No generator, we had a room full of batteries that lasted from 5 - 30 minutes, no dishes allowed on the roof and the standard air con inadequate for a room of broadcast plant. Plus the logistics of having staff coming and going 24 hour 7 days a week and having camera crews clogging up reception with their kit. It pee'd off the building's owners

*galleries, dressing rooms, makeup, green room, apparatus room, plus room for the shows production team during the programme, engineering support etc
DeMarkay and Brekkie gave kudos
BU
buster
And whilst it isn't the LWT tower with all the history that's attached to it, it is (I would argue) a nicer place to work - bigger, open plan floors and you can actually get in and out of the building in less than 10 mins as the lifts actually do the job.

Well that was part of the reason for the whole south bank project - to provide better more modern accommodation. The small footprint of the tower and all the pokey corridors and bits fitted in between studios didn't make for open flexible modern workspace.

TV Centre was very similar - built in a different age

Yes. And the lift issues shouldn't be underestimated - people tended to stay on their floors and only move around if they had to. Since the move it has been said that many different depts have been actually seeing each other face to face a lot more, with all the business benefits that brings
dbl and Inspector Sands gave kudos

31 days later

KE
kernow
Tours of the ITV Daytime Studios have been announced:

https://itv_daytime_presale.ontouraccess.com/

"For the first time ever, the doors are opening to the home of ITV Daytime shows at Television Centre in White City, London."

As well as being the first time tours have been offered since ITV moved to Television Centre, I believe this is also the first time that ITV have offered tours of their daytime studios in London, as I don't believe that they ever offered tours at the London Studios.

76 days later

TV
TVFan2017
Does anyone know what's happening with the building now? It seems to have all gone quiet, I assume it's just on the market?
KE
kernow
Does anyone know what's happening with the building now? It seems to have all gone quiet, I assume it's just on the market?

It was under offer by Allied London earlier this year, but it looks like the sale fell through:

https://www.egi.co.uk/news/south-bank-potential-tempts-allied-to-itv/

https://www.egi.co.uk/news/sale-of-itv-to-allied-london-falls-apart/
ST
South Today
I was in London yesterday so I headed down to the South Bank to see how the former ITV telly towers were looking. Oh such a sad state now empty with all the logos ripped off and looking rather unloved.

31 days later

TV
TVFan2017
I was in London yesterday so I headed down to the South Bank to see how the former ITV telly towers were looking. Oh such a sad state now empty with all the logos ripped off and looking rather unloved.

It is a shame, a perfectly good set of studio space just unsued. I genuinely wonder if it may go down the TVC route of having hotels, studios and restaurants on-site or whether by some miracle they will reopen as a full television complex?
DB
dbl

Passed by there last week as well, took a few pics. Agreed, a little bit of a sad state.

Newer posts