« Topics
Markymark6,732 posts since 13 Dec 2004
Meridian (North) South Today
I thought this was very disappointing.

Apart from Boris pretty much ignoring Emily Maitlis' line of questioning (most of the time) the format didn't really lend itself to a 'big occasion' either. The lack of a studio audience also seemed to contribute to a closed set mentality and those regional links were straight out of 1970s 'Nationwide'.

Yes, I’m not a fan of studio audience participation, but this demonstrated there is merit in that idea. You’re spot on about 70s Nationwide
Media Box gave kudos
London Lite10,360 posts since 4 Jan 2003
London London
There are two factors here. One I think Emily Maitlis didn't cut the mustard, the other is the five candidates are largely singing from the same hymn book, even if Rory Stewart is the odd one out.

From a social media POV, the C4 debate was all over my timeline, this one wasn't, except for the usual political tweeters.
Jeffmister, all new Phil and 2 others
  • Brekkie
  • Worzel
gave kudos
Neil Jones5,254 posts since 23 Dec 2001
Central (West) Midlands Today
Is it just proof that primetime leadership debates just don't make great television.

Maybe if we had more say in the outcome it could have been more interesting.
But of course we don't, so it wasn't. Might as well filmed a paper bag floating in the breeze.

You mean to say you aren’t a fully paid up member of the Conservative party?

Okay I walked into that because I wasn't thinking when I wrote it... Embarassed
Rexogamer gave kudos
all new Phil3,160 posts since 12 Feb 2005
Granada North West Today
There are two factors here. One I think Emily Maitlis didn't cut the mustard, the other is the five candidates are largely singing from the same hymn book, even if Rory Stewart is the odd one out.

From a social media POV, the C4 debate was all over my timeline, this one wasn't, except for the usual political tweeters.

I think you’re spot on here. The Channel 4 debate just worked. I’m not a fan of Krishnan normally but on the whole he held it together well.

Tonight felt too rushed - I hate how many interviewers (Maitlis is often guilty of this) think their job is to constantly interrupt. Sometimes a complex question calls for a nuanced answer rather than a yes/no soundbite. Yes, pull Boris up when he wanders off answering a completely different question to what was asked, but I’d learn a lot more about him if he was allowed to talk uninterrupted for a minute or so.
I love lamp
itsrobert, msim and 3 others
  • Brekkie
  • Rexogamer
  • London Lite
gave kudos
Inspector Sands13,591 posts since 25 Aug 2004

Yes, I’m not a fan of studio audience participation, but this demonstrated there is merit in that idea. You’re spot on about 70s Nationwide

Yes, it reminded me of Nationwide, although in the case of that programme a similar format did produce this classic bit of telly:
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 18 June 2019 11:54pm
Rexogamer and scottishtv gave kudos
BM11929 posts since 2 Jun 2017
London London
So the Maximum amount of

Yes, it reminded me of Nationwide, although in the case oft that programme a similar format did produce this classic bit of telly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcQMGgE3Gl8

How have I never heard of this before?
Rexogamer gave kudos
WW Update4,699 posts since 6 Feb 2007

Yes, it reminded me of Nationwide, although in the case oft that programme a similar format did produce this classic bit of telly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcQMGgE3Gl8

What documentary is this from?
Last edited by WW Update on 19 June 2019 12:10am
Rexogamer gave kudos
BM11929 posts since 2 Jun 2017
London London
Oh dear. It's going around on social media that one of the questions has some very controversial views - the BBC could be in a serious media storm come tomorrow considering the format allowed for due diligence.
Rexogamer gave kudos
Newsroom1,624 posts since 2 Mar 2005
Oh dear. It's going around on social media that one of the questions has some very controversial views - the BBC could be in a serious media storm come tomorrow considering the format allowed for due diligence.

Which question was that?
Formerly News Room
Rexogamer gave kudos