The Newsroom

International News Presentation: Past and Present

(February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WW
WW Update
It has been revealed, in France•tv's recent conference, that new visuals will be deployed on France 2's main bulletins.

They will use the Brown font just like France 3 and Franceinfo. The septuple-metre musical theme will be kept.

(Inspiration from VRT probably.) Here's a foretaste of it:

The idea of using Brown makes sense, but I hope they work on the execution. The preview doesn't really work for me.
SH
Sh1ruba
It has been revealed, in France•tv's recent conference, that new visuals will be deployed on France 2's main bulletins.

They will use the Brown font just like France 3 and Franceinfo. The septuple-metre musical theme will be kept.

(Inspiration from VRT probably.) Here's a foretaste of it:

The idea of using Brown makes sense, but I hope they work on the execution. The preview doesn't really work for me.

Yeah, hopefully once it's on air, they'll tweak to make it a little better.
AG
AxG
They could have had the the thicker part extend further to 8 o'clock.
BR
Brekkie
I quite like the look of that.
WW
WW Update
If you ask me (which no one did Smile ), the atrium look from a few years ago was France 2's most effective recent intro:

LL
London Lite Founding member
I wondered if France 2 would ever use the Brown font for the news bulletins. The 6h00 info/6h30 info bulletins which are produced by Franceinfo already use the font.
QN
Quatorzine Neko
AxG posted:
They could have had the the thicker part extend further to 8 o'clock.

It would make sense (and many suggested this idea on the French forum Lenodal), but would perhaps become tricky or not-so-beautiful for the 1 o'clock bulletin's logo.
WW
WW Update
ZDF, West Germany, 1980s; from the text-only headline era before a full-fledged headline sequence was introduced:

8B
8baan
ZDF, West Germany, 1980s; from the text-only headline era before a full-fledged headline sequence was introduced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce-vpc43eoQ

That theme sounds remarkably jolly and happy for a news programme
WW
WW Update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce-vpc43eoQ

That theme sounds remarkably jolly and happy for a news programme

The late-night version of the theme even included a saxophone riff:

WW
WW Update
On the subject of unusual themes, ITN's upbeat Non-Stop (used for unbranded newscasts) is frequently given as an example of music totally unsuitable for the news -- it may not have been out-of-place in the 1950s, when it premiered, but by the late 1970s, its use was jarring to say the least:

It was discontinued in the early 1980s.
Last edited by WW Update on 20 June 2019 11:38pm
VM
VMPhil
Ha. 'That's after the news, and the news is now'!

Newer posts