« Topics
Rkolsen2,880 posts since 20 Jan 2014
BBC World News

I guess that's from a technical reason, rather than a petty one of making your rivals look low quality?

It used to be because they were taking it from a Sky receiver and they only had analogue outputs. Even with HDMI it's a bit tricky due to the copy protection

No, it was sourced from the SD version, it had the 'SD' C4 DOG, not the C4HD one

Harmonic has (or had) a commercial grade Sky HD box that output HD-SDI.

Edit : Its an Ericsson RX8200 Advanced Modular Receiver - SkyUK CA.
Last edited by Rkolsen on 17 June 2019 7:42pm
Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when you’re a PKG.
Markymark7,219 posts since 13 Dec 2004
Meridian (North) South Today
It used to be because they were taking it from a Sky receiver and they only had analogue outputs. Even with HDMI it's a bit tricky due to the copy protection

No, it was sourced from the SD version, it had the 'SD' C4 DOG, not the C4HD one

Harmonic has (or had) a commercial grade Sky HD box that output HD-SDI.

Edit : Its an Ericsson RX8200 Advanced Modular Receiver - SkyUK CA.

Yep, but as I say the pictures were sourced from the SD version of C4 (either DTT or Sky) there's not a box on the market as far as I'm aware that can change a DOG from one that says 'HD' to one that doesn't ! Cool (And fill the picture with artefacts)
Inspector Sands13,909 posts since 25 Aug 2004

I guess that's from a technical reason, rather than a petty one of making your rivals look low quality?

Yes, but a lot of the time it doesn't matter which one they are tuned to, the output of the box is probably just just the analogue output, not the HDMI. They could of course book a professional receiver, but they probably don't think of that and it's not as easy to organise
thegeek5,059 posts since 1 Jan 2002
London London
There is a commercial HDMI to HD-SDI converter available which is popular amongst broadcasters. It respects HDCP until you get out a soldering iron and remove a capacitor. I believe such a modification is entirely unsupported by the manufacturer and they wouldn't dream of recommending you attempt it.
bilky asko and Rkolsen gave kudos
Markymark7,219 posts since 13 Dec 2004
Meridian (North) South Today
There is a commercial HDMI to HD-SDI converter available which is popular amongst broadcasters. It respects HDCP until you get out a soldering iron and remove a capacitor. I believe such a modification is entirely unsupported by the manufacturer and they wouldn't dream of recommending you attempt it.

If it’s the one I’m thinking of, that workaround was stopped a few years ago, and now you have to get a document signed by a director of the end user’s company, and the protection is removed at serial number level ( by entering an unlock code via an interface)
UKnews gave kudos
davidhorman2,253 posts since 8 Mar 2005
Channel Channel Islands
Well, that tells you all you need to know about politicans !

Forget Brexit, if they can deliver Reith by the end of October they'll win the all-important TV Forum demographic.

At a push, could you get better-than-SD by pointing a decent camera at a decent screen?
UKnews844 posts since 26 Apr 2011

If it’s the one I’m thinking of, that workaround was stopped a few years ago, and now you have to get a document signed by a director of the end user’s company, and the protection is removed at serial number level ( by entering an unlock code via an interface)

There is one that can be purchased that, with the right paperwork, performs the same function. It’s different from the one which previously offered the ‘capacitor removal upgrade’ - unless that modification was also possible with this one. The cheapest (and most popular?) converter doesn’t - as far as I’m aware - allow for that possibility at all.
UKnews844 posts since 26 Apr 2011
I presume no one at the BBC could find C4 HD on the ingest Sky box, and that’s why all their clips of last night’s debate are in soggy SD ?

They do the same thing when they take content from Sky News too.

It is - I can’t remember the reasons why, but the off air feed of C4 normally available in NBH is the SD version. For the Paralympics there had to be a special booking (of an HD receiver) made to make C4HD available. For whatever reason that wasn’t done on Sunday night and the SD version was recorded instead.
Markymark and London Lite gave kudos