TV Home Forum

Jeremy Kyle Axed

Latest: ITV axe show - page 20 onwards

LL
London Lite Founding member London London
The People's Court UK didn't really work well in the UK as it was too cluttered. Rinder worked from the start thanks to the personality and straightforward cases brought to court.

I still think it's a shame that Rinder doesn't get promoted to 9.25 and the 2pm slot is used for these trial formats instead.
JO
Jonwo (previously Jonwo87)
The People's Court UK didn't really work well in the UK as it was too cluttered. Rinder worked from the start thanks to the personality and straightforward cases brought to court.

I still think it's a shame that Rinder doesn't get promoted to 9.25 and the 2pm slot is used for these trial formats instead.

I imagine ITV is waiting for the dust to settle on the Kyle backlash before they try out Rinder in that slot.
Rexogamer and Ash101 gave kudos
SL
Shaun Linden Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)

Didn't a relaxation in rules make Rinder work, or am i overthinking it? I know Rinder isn't a real court, but Rinder works because he's a real life barrister.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member Central (West) Midlands Today

Didn't a relaxation in rules make Rinder work, or am i overthinking it? I know Rinder isn't a real court, but Rinder works because he's a real life barrister.

There is a process, I forget its name, that you can use to effectively make the decisions of the court "real" to an extent, Judge Judy mentioned it at some point, her show works in the same way as Judge Rinder (just more bluntly, not always with any legal conviction, and usually with some ridiculous case and even more ridiculous counter claim).

(edit - found it - 'binding arbitration' was the term I was after)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxmTSJLCq4g from 48:50)
Last edited by Neil Jones on 17 June 2019 10:33pm
Rexogamer and London Lite gave kudos
LL
Rinder also uses the law to make his judgements. There have been cases where you get the impression he'd like to award money, but has used the law to go against the claimant.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member Central (West) Midlands Today
Rinder also uses the law to make his judgements. There have been cases where you get the impression he'd like to award money, but has used the law to go against the claimant.

Yeah there is absolutely no doubt that Rinder is more law based, whereas Judy could be seen as more being more "deserved" I suppose, but you only have to sit through a handful of these and there's little consistency. However in fairness the US is a much larger country with each state having its own laws and whatever else so the show can't really work Rinder style, so its far easier just to wave some papers round, talk your arse off and hope you win some money for whatever stupid thing somebody has done to you/your property.
Rexogamer and London Lite gave kudos
SJ
sjhoward Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
Judge Rinder is a dressed-up game show - it isn't binding arbitration, and never could be, because the only thing ever awarded is the production company's money (treated for tax purposes as prize money). Robert Rinder's involvement is (or, at least, was initially) contingent on using the show as an avenue to better educate the public on the application of legal principles. There's absolutely nothing "legal" to prevent him giving prize money to whoever he wants.
sjhoward.co.uk
BM
BM11

RE
Rexogamer London London
BM11 posted:

sigh
Arqiva, just switch to DVB-T2 already...
LL
So it seems Vile can give it to vulnerable guests on his show, but can't take it in front of a committee of MPs.
RFWS, Rexogamer and Jon gave kudos
JO
Jon Central (West) Midlands Today
Yes, he’s less keen on taking on educated middle class people.
RFWS, Rexogamer and London Lite gave kudos
JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
Doesn't like not being in charge or arguing with people who can fight back.

Newer posts