TV Home Forum

New BBC corporate font: BBC Reith

To replace Gill Sans in print and on screen (May 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WO
Worzel
Jon posted:
These are quite nice for the most part and better than what we’ve been seeing so far. I would suggest you’d take the transparency off the text though.

OK, I've done that. I do wonder if the Breaking News and title strap will flip or transition, rather than using the current static graphic.
BR
Brekkie
The only thing I don't like in the implementation of Reith is the font.
orange, Josh and fanoftv gave kudos
CU
Custard56
Everyone loves a Reith update (!)...

The trailer for next week’s Killing Eve on BBC One just used Reith for the ‘Saturday 9.15pm’ text.

Contain yourselves please.

I could be wrong but I thought the end board on the Killing Eve trailers have featured Reith since they first started airing weeks ago prior to this latest series beginning; pretty sure last night wasn't the first time it's been seen.
:-(
A former member
Everyone loves a Reith update (!)...

The trailer for next week’s Killing Eve on BBC One just used Reith for the ‘Saturday 9.15pm’ text.

Contain yourselves please.

I could be wrong but I thought the end board on the Killing Eve trailers have featured Reith since they first started airing weeks ago prior to this latest series beginning; pretty sure last night wasn't the first time it's been seen.

Hey, I don’t claim to be the authority on all things Reith.
WO
Worzel
Based on the Breakfast leak and other bits and pieces we've seen floating about I wonder if we'll end up with a split screen a bit like this?

And indeed whether shows like Outside Source would have colour coordinated straps?

Still not quite sure what they're planning to put in the dead space/strip to the right of the DOG/clock? Logically contact methods and show slugs could go there as demonstrated above.
JA
JAS84
Currently, that's where the ticker is. Have we seen evidence that the ticker won't still be on the same line as the DOG and clock?
BB
BBI45
JAS84 posted:
Currently, that's where the ticker is. Have we seen evidence that the ticker won't still be on the same line as the DOG and clock?

Nothing that is 100% concrete, but it seems to be relatively certain:
WO
Worzel
JAS84 posted:

I've based the mocks above on three bits of viewable information:

- The new Victoria Derbyshire Show graphics which are currently sitting in a gap above the News channel DOG and ticker. It's basically a gap that's the same width as the current ticker.
- The World News 1 minute wrap which has the bullet point and bbc.com/news where a ticker or flipper would logically go.
- The BBC Midlands Today graphics which sit almost in line with the mocks I've made.

If I were a betting man, I'd day the ticker will become a CNN style flipper and the gap created next to the DOG will be used for the slide in graphics which normally have things like #BBCpapers, show Twitter handles and show slugs - which could cycle round.

Trying to work out how the ticker will go into breaking mode, I suppose the font could just change to red?
Last edited by Worzel on 16 June 2019 6:41pm
Rexogamer, what and BBI45 gave kudos
WO
Worzel
BBI45 posted:
JAS84 posted:

And this all lines up to the same effect.

PE
Pete Founding member
The logo will move. ↕️
BR
Brekkie
I look at these and basically think the logo needs to be dropped into the ticker, the colours need to be reversed and the font needs to be changed. Trouble is you then end up back at the beginning.
WO
Worzel
BBI45 posted:
JAS84 posted:

Based on that, the News channel headlines strap would look like this.

To me the logo should stay on top of the flipper as there's quite a lot of empty black space.

Newer posts