The Newsroom

ITV News

Split from ITV News 2013 Rebrand (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JK
JKDerry
Just watched the ITV Evening News and was impressed with a shot of Charlene White at the news desk just this minute, and we saw the computer generated reflection on the desk as usual, but it was the first time I noticed they have the fake ceiling view of the virtual news studio. Did anyone else see it. Just as Charlene was introducing the story about workman who helped an old lady. Thought it looked very good, as ITV have always been good with VR.
WL
W1LL
The Evening News just briefly fell off air for about 5 seconds, oddly the colour bars had Pinewood Studios written on them.
MA
Markymark
The Evening News just briefly fell off air for about 5 seconds, oddly the colour bars had Pinewood Studios written on them.

Possibly a line switch that shouldn't have happened.
OH
ohdearme
The late news on Saturday also had the daytime studio set. Felt a bit odd watching at 10.30pm!
FA
fanoftv
The late news on Saturday also had the daytime studio set. Felt a bit odd watching at 10.30pm!

By daytime set, do you mean the lower desk or a lighter background?
JK
JKDerry
I always wanted to ask this - Is there a time limit on how long a news set should last for, before being replaced? I ask this as ITV News has used their current virtual look since January 2013, that is six years of use.

Does anyone think there should be a limit on how long a look lasts for? Five/Six years?

I always felt the BBC virtual look launched in 1993 stayed far too longer. It should have been scrapped when the new BBC logo launched in the autumn of 1997.

Would like to know what people on here think.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
I always wanted to ask this - Is there a time limit on how long a news set should last for, before being replaced? I ask this as ITV News has used their current virtual look since January 2013, that is six years of use.

If it still looks good on screen there is no reason AFAIK why it couldn't in theory last forever.
Remember it will cost money to replace the set which would have to come out of a budget somewhere so...

Quote:
Does anyone think there should be a limit on how long a look lasts for? Five/Six years?

As above.

Quote:
I always felt the BBC virtual look launched in 1993 stayed far too longer. It should have been scrapped when the new BBC logo launched in the autumn of 1997.

Your opinion to which you are entitled.
Ittr, chevron and Brekkie gave kudos
JK
JKDerry
I read on here a few people mention Sky News is an example of a channel which keeps tweaking its look every year. I do think that when you have a look you keep it for a reasonable time.

There is always the possibility that the look will become outdated and needs a refresh.

ITV News have a very good look at the moment, they really did well with the 2013 relaunch. The one advantage ITV News has is that it is all green screen, so they could create a whole new look without having to change much in their studio.
VM
VMPhil
An October 1997 rebrand of BBC News wouldn't have lasted long if, in this hypothetical alternate universe, it was still decided to unify the look of the national BBC One & Two bulletins with BBC News 24 a couple of years later.
JK
JKDerry
An October 1997 rebrand of BBC News wouldn't have lasted long if, in this hypothetical alternate universe, it was still decided to unify the look of the national BBC One & Two bulletins with BBC News 24 a couple of years later.

I meant the 1999 look could have launched in October 1997 along with the new corporate logo, new BBC One idents etc, all as one main relaunch, as ITV did with all of their channels and news in January 2013.
BR
Brekkie
Relaunching the news alongside the relaunch of a channel/corporation brand is a relatively recent thing on the terrestrials at least. The ITV Plc 2004 relaunch is the earliest one I can think of on a national scale, though suspect some of the regions did it prior to that.

Sky News presumably had to change their intros everytime Sky changed their logo in the 90s (which seemed to be quite frequently), though not sure how often a set change co-incided with that.
Last edited by Brekkie on 17 June 2019 10:13pm
VM
VMPhil
Relaunching the news alongside the relaunch of a channel/corporation brand is a relatively recent thing on the terrestrials at least. The ITV Plc 2004 relaunch is the earliest one I can think of on a national scale, though suspect some of the regions did it prior to that.

There were already signs that ITV News was moving to a more corporate look the previous year when the existing graphics were changed from the old red and blue to ITV1-style yellow and blue.

Newer posts