TV Home Forum

ITV UHD

“in the next couple of years” (June 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
DVB Cornwall
UK commercial broadcaster ITV has said that UHD is high on their agenda. Tom Griffiths, ITV’s Director of Broadcast & Distribution Technology, explained to delegates at the SES UHD Conference in London that setting aside ‘regionality’ which was another quite separate challenge, was very expensive and might require a different approach to that currently in use. But for UHD it was “definitely in the planning stage” and would probably be available “in the next couple of years”.

more ....

https://advanced-television.com/2019/06/14/itv-uhd-in-the-next-couple-of-years/
Rexogamer and bkman1990 gave kudos
BK
bkman1990
Oh that is great news from ITV. I hope it becomes a success within the next few years.

Drama & Sport sound like a very good place to begin filming in UHD for this new channel.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Wonder if they'll do ITV UHD as a "national" network like BBC One HD? No regional ability (yet) but will pop up somewhere down the line. Although I suppose it being ITV they can't really justify having a "your regional news is on channel <whatever>" slide at 6:30pm...
LL
London Lite Founding member
Wonder if they'll do ITV UHD as a "national" network like BBC One HD? No regional ability (yet) but will pop up somewhere down the line. Although I suppose it being ITV they can't really justify having a "your regional news is on channel <whatever>" slide at 6:30pm...

I wouldn't be surprised if it's ITV News London on the UHD channel as they already do on the ITV Hub.
WH
Whataday Founding member
The way they say "different approach" makes me think they are considering... well a different approach to what has come before.

Is there a way that the set top box could switch to a separate channel/feed for the regional news (even if it's SD/HD) and then back again? I'm sure at least some platforms could have this capability.
IS
Inspector Sands
It won't necessarily be a linear offering of course, or if it is it doesn't have to be a simulcast of ITV

I'm sure that in their list of how to do UHD that regional news barely appears on their agenda if at all. I'm not sure what he means about regionality, it could be a number of things. But I doubt they're having big meetings about how they will broadcast Lookaround in UHD
Rexogamer, Spencer and Brekkie gave kudos
:-(
A former member
In all honesty I wouldn’t be surprised if ITV regional news was in UHD before BBC even manage HD for theirs.
GE
thegeek Founding member
Perhaps they'll go down the route of the erstwhile BBC HD channel - simulcasts of their own networks at some times; and their own schedule of repeats at others.

ITV can be quite conservative when it comes to tech (Dolby 5.1? No thanks!) so it's good to hear they've got this on the horizon.
MA
Markymark
Perhaps they'll go down the route of the erstwhile BBC HD channel - simulcasts of their own networks at some times; and their own schedule of repeats at others.

ITV can be quite conservative when it comes to tech (Dolby 5.1? No thanks!) so it's good to hear they've got this on the horizon.

I watched the first series of ITV’s Marcella on Netflix, it had 5.1 audio, so it’s not that they leave it out of the production process

On DS one of the apparent ITV insiders claims the lack of 5.1 audio on ITV is due to Dolby wanting a licence for each of their 28 playout streams
MA
Markymark

There isn’t the bandwidth available ( or look it it the other way, affordable) on linear platforms for a UHD service. I think ( and the same applies to the Beeb) UHD will be supplied on line only
FA
fanoftv
How does UHD work through sky? Is it a stream when you select the UHD or a broadcast?
DO
dosxuk
It won't necessarily be a linear offering of course, or if it is it doesn't have to be a simulcast of ITV

I'm sure that in their list of how to do UHD that regional news barely appears on their agenda if at all. I'm not sure what he means about regionality, it could be a number of things. But I doubt they're having big meetings about how they will broadcast Lookaround in UHD

Some people like to forget that ITVs desire to broadcast regional content in HD is nothing to do with the actual programmes, regional news included, and all about maximising their advertising revenue.

A UHD channel using the same sort of idea that is in the Sky boxes to have a local set of adverts seamlessly inserted into a national feed could be the story of thing they're talking about.

Newer posts