The Newsroom

Brexitcast - The TV Show

(June 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MI
m_in_m
An actual TV programme on actual TV will surely need higher production values than a podcast that is filmed. Therefore surely there will be hardly any saving compared to This Week (which is hardly high budget)

They might just use the existing cameras in many of the studios. Clearly presenters, guests and most of the production team are already in place so little additional cost compared to presumably This Week.

I do hope it doesn't change the essence and feel of the programme though and that this doesn't hinder their ability to rabbit on without a fixed timeslot for the podcast.
MI
m_in_m
Seems the News Channel will be taking it as well (if i've got this tweet right)

Obvious slot would be as weekend back half hour filler.
SL
Shaun Linden
It's already shown on BBC News Channel on weekends isn't it? I'm sure I seen it on a Saturday afternoon few weeks ago.
NG
noggin Founding member
It's already shown on BBC News Channel on weekends isn't it? I'm sure I seen it on a Saturday afternoon few weeks ago.

I wonder if this will be a live show from Millbank (with as many of them as possible in the studio or in contribution studios) of them making the podcast live - or a PSC shoot/edit of the weekly edited podcast as now shown on the News Channel - or something in between?
MI
m_in_m

Special editions have been recorded for TV but it wasn't the norm.
JO
Jon
I seem to remember them doing that weird One Show special.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Quite why the BBC cancelled This Week is somewhat of a conundrum to me.

Isn't the reason that Andrew Neil quit?
MD
mdtauk
The format as a podcast is superb. I can't see it working trying to transpose it to TV. Quite why the BBC cancelled This Week is somewhat of a conundrum to me.

Andrew Neil wanted the show moved to 7:30 pm and they said no. So he quit, and they decided to end the show.

I am guessing they saw Brexitcast's setup as a fine replacement.
JO
Jon
As much as I like This Week. I don’t think 7:30pm would have felt right for the show. It felt like your treat and something to look forward to after watching dire people on Question Time.
Jeffmister and London Lite gave kudos
LL
London Lite Founding member
The only way I could see This Week going prime time is if the BBC offered a slot on the NC, possibly replacing Outside Source on Thursday evenings and then the current slot on BBC1.
:-(
A former member
Brexitcast is a bit too niche. Can’t say I’m excited by this news.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Brexitcast is a bit too niche. Can’t say I’m excited by this news.

Talking about Brexit is niche?

Newer posts