TV Home Forum

TV Licence Fee Decision

No Continued universal over 75's exemption (June 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jonwo
By reading this thread, some people would be unlikely get a job at the BBC or elsewhere in the media because the ideas are just ludicrous!
IS
Inspector Sands
John posted:
Free bus passes and free licence fees were vote bribing by Gordon Brown.

Even if they were only done for that reason that doesn't make them a bad thing?

Incidently what's now known as the Freedom Pass (the free travel scheme for pensioners in London) dates back to 1973
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 13 June 2019 6:04am
IS
Inspector Sands
Quote:

Anyone who suggests Radio 1 and commercial pop stations are the same has clearly never listened to one or the other.

The commercial stations actually play music, Radio 1 has far too much DJ waffle Razz

But then again Radio 1 plays more music and a bigger range of it than its commercial rivals (not that there are many of those left). The same with Radios 2 and 6, they play an incredibly wide range of music (there used to be a website that compares play lists but it's gone now)

They do more speech but that's how they distinguish themselves from other stations and the likes of Spotify. If you just want music there are alternatives these days and that what they are competing against
SJ
sjhoward
AlexS posted:
...such as Wimbledon (and there is no reason why the first round of the girls tournament, for example, deserves coverage in any case)

Neil Jones posted:
Can I also remind him that the correct term is "Women's" football tournament...

I never realised that the first round of the Ladies' Championship at Wimbledon was more correctly known as "the Women's football tournament". I wonder how that historical curiosity arose?
AS
AlexS

Can I remind the honourable gentleman about "inform, educate and entertain".
Can I also remind him that the correct term is "Women's" football tournament, not the "girls", the men's football is not called the "boys football".

The correct term is not the women's football tournament as I was referring to the junior girls' championship which is covered on the red button and online rather than the adult women's tournament...
The excessive coverage of Wimbledon apologists would do well to remember that Wimbledon consists of a lot more than Men's and Women's singles and many of the other competitions simply should not be covered and certainly would not be if tennis was not such a middle-class sport. Somehow I doubt a game of basketball or rugby between those 20 years plus past it would have any chance of being shown on BBC TV yet every year they broadcast some of the invitational doubles on TV and all of it is available online.
JO
Joe
Riaz posted:
The reality is that the BBC, like most other organisations, has to learn to cut its coats from the piece of cloth that it has. There has been criticism of BBC bosses squandering money on Holby City and just exactly how many episodes of Eastenders does the BBC really need to produce every week?

What would you replace it with? New programming would cost more than an extra episode of something already in production.
JA
james-2001
It's clear the BBC shouldn't produce anything more challenging than Stacey Dooley documentries, we've already been told that here.

And no "middle class" sports like Wimbledon either, just screen cock flighting and greyhound racing instead.
Brekkie, Jonwo and Steve Williams gave kudos
JO
Joe
Cando posted:

I could see a model where the more commercially viable non PSB programming (EastEnders, Strictly) is sold off to other broadcasters, with the BBC continuing to produce it as an indie.

That additional income and new gaps in the schedule subsidise the more niche programming that commercial channels wouldn't touch, and helps to offset the net reduction in licence fee.

Then nobody watches the new niche programming and then people ask what are they paying a licence fee for. Next closure.
Literally Murdoch's plan for the BBC from 30 years ago

Indeed, you can't ghetto-ise the stuff that wouldn't be less commercially viable. You'd end up with a British PBS.
RI
Riaz
Joe posted:
What would you replace it with? New programming would cost more than an extra episode of something already in production.

What new programmes would you like the BBC to produce, and why?
BR
Brekkie
Jonwo posted:
By reading this thread, some people would be unlikely get a job at the BBC or elsewhere in the media because the ideas are just ludicrous!

They might get a job in government though.
JO
Joe
Riaz posted:
Joe posted:

What new programmes would you like the BBC to produce, and why?

?
BM
BM11

Newer posts