The Newsroom

Brexitcast - The TV Show

(June 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
DVB Cornwall
BREAKING ...

Just announced, the Brexitcast Team will take This Week's post QT slot after it ends it's run next month.

WH
Whataday Founding member
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I love Brexitcast and never miss an episode but I always feel there are things they get away with more because it's a podcast. It feels more like an exclusive club, and I'm not sure how that'll translate to TV full time.

Having said that - just to completely contradict myself - This Week feels a bit like that too.
SJ
sjhoward
Can I take a moment to gloat? Called it four months ago! Wink

Completely uninformed speculation alert: I wouldn't be too shocked to see a TV version of Brexitcast (presumably renamed!) filling the gap. It's a broadly tonally similar production (but perhaps with more enthusiasm and less cynicism) which skews significantly younger. The Politics Live "takeovers" show that there's some desire to try it out on TV.
LL
London Lite Founding member
As much as I love Brexitcast, it's not really a direct replacement for This Week as this won't be an all round review of the week in Westminster.
SL
Shaun Linden
With Brexit not solved yet, this makes perfect sense and is (I'd guess) a very cheap option for the BBC considering everything is already in place.
LL
Worth noting that Chris and Adam from Brexitcast did the Euro Election special on R4 and 5 Live recently with inserts from Katya and Laura. A possible dummy run for them covering By-Election specials currently done under the This Week brand?
BR
Brekkie
Depressing to think how long that might run for.
WA
watchingtv
So if and when Brexit happens, does it need renaming like Beyond 100 Days?
LL
So if and when Brexit happens, does it need renaming like Beyond 100 Days?

Recently Chris and Adam were interviewed for the Radio Today Programme podcast and Chris mentioned that he believed the format will continue as a podcast if and when Brexit comes to it's final conclusion.
GR
griffinuk
The format as a podcast is superb. I can't see it working trying to transpose it to TV. Quite why the BBC cancelled This Week is somewhat of a conundrum to me.
AN
Andrew Founding member
An actual TV programme on actual TV will surely need higher production values than a podcast that is filmed. Therefore surely there will be hardly any saving compared to This Week (which is hardly high budget)
NE
News96
Seems the News Channel will be taking it as well (if i've got this tweet right)

Newer posts