TV Home Forum

HD remastering 4:3 programmes

Split from ITV Programming Thread (June 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member
Multicamera film was never really used in the UK (it's very expensive) - though it was trialled in the 60s as a way of shooting in an internationally compatible way (as 50Hz region 25fps film can be run at 24fps film in 60Hz regions without standards conversion)

I think they shot the first two series of Chef! on multi-camera film, didn't they? Albeit probably 16 mm rather than 35 mm. That's the only UK sitcom example I can think of.

Yes - it may have been - it's never really been a thing here though.
JA
james-2001
It seems strange how late the video/film combination was used though, it seems rare for any BBC sitcoms even in the late 80s to be all video, and even in the early 90s there were some still using film on location (and OFAH and One Foot In The Grave were still doing it into the 00s!). Ab Fab is a bit strange in that it seemed to mix the two sometimes, even in the same episode. Did seem to affect sitcoms more, there seem to be plenty of BBC dramas using video on location in the 70s and 80s.

Especially when you look at how many ITV sitcoms of the 70s and 80s used video on location, at least occasionally (I guess there were times when using video was impractical with the technology of the time). Strange to see ITV3 showing On The Buses from 1970 with videotaped location work, then seeing episodes of Bread and Brush Strokes from over 20 years later still using film.
Last edited by james-2001 on 12 June 2019 5:52pm
DA
davidhorman
It seems strange how late the video/film combination was used though

Series 3 of Miranda (2013) used a fake, and very basic, film effect on location footage, in homage to 70s/80s sitcoms.
JA
james-2001
A lot of that show was a homage to sitcoms of that era in general, especially the "you have been watching" credits.
EL
elmarko
I think the show itself is crap but those were two lovely nods to the past and the craft I appreciated.
MA
Markymark

I think they shot the first two series of Chef! on multi-camera film, didn't they? Albeit probably 16 mm rather than 35 mm. That's the only UK sitcom example I can think of.

Ugh....

I recall that horrendous practice of UK (BBC and ITV) drama and sitcom of being partially studio based with tubed cameras,, and then field production with 16mm negative stock. Either was good quality, but the juxtaposition between them was irritating. Shows based around sketches (eg Dave Allen) didn't suffer from this, because the sketches were all filmed inserts.

If you were to remaster some of these, what approach would you take? Possibly to make the multi-camera studio component look more like film?

Well, some of the recovered from telerecordings Dad’s Armys have ended up with the outdoor native film sequences ‘fluidised’ ( made up word) as part of the recovery process
JA
james-2001
Have they? The ones I've seen have left them alone.

And I believe "VIDfire'd" is the correct term Wink
SP
Spencer
It seems strange how late the video/film combination was used though, it seems rare for any BBC sitcoms even in the late 80s to be all video, and even in the early 90s there were some still using film on location (and OFAH and One Foot In The Grave were still doing it into the 00s!).

Was it definitely film towards the end of One Foot In The Grave's run, or were they using a film effect by then, just to keep the feel of the programme the same? I was actually wondering this recently while watching some of the final series on DVD.

Quote:
Strange to see ITV3 showing On The Buses from 1970 with videotaped location work, then seeing episodes of Bread and Brush Strokes from over 20 years later still using film.

You are Philomena Cunk and I claim my £10.
NG
noggin Founding member

Well, some of the recovered from telerecordings Dad’s Armys have ended up with the outdoor native film sequences ‘fluidised’ ( made up word) as part of the recovery process

That's unusual and definitely unintentional. The team behind the VidFire-ing of Doctor Who, Dads Army etc. are usually incredibly careful to only restore material originally shot on video to a 'video look' and leave the location film sequences alone (and thus retaining their 25p look)

The same team also collaborate on the colour recovery from B&W telerecordings of colour content where the subcarrier dots have survived and can be used to restore colour.
VM
VMPhil
It seems strange how late the video/film combination was used though, it seems rare for any BBC sitcoms even in the late 80s to be all video, and even in the early 90s there were some still using film on location (and OFAH and One Foot In The Grave were still doing it into the 00s!).

Was it definitely film towards the end of One Foot In The Grave's run, or were they using a film effect by then, just to keep the feel of the programme the same? I was actually wondering this recently while watching some of the final series on DVD.

Quote:
Strange to see ITV3 showing On The Buses from 1970 with videotaped location work, then seeing episodes of Bread and Brush Strokes from over 20 years later still using film.

You are Philomena Cunk and I claim my £10.

No I think you’re right, OFITG was still using film to the end. I think it worked really well particularly with the more dramatic scenes of the final episode.

Outside sequences on the final Only Fools and Horses specials from 2001-3 were shot on film.
MA
Markymark
Have they? The ones I've seen have left them alone.

And I believe "VIDfire'd" is the correct term Wink

Ah ha !

I did watch the first one that was recovered, that was shown on its own. It’s quite possible ( likely) they later restored the film sequences back to 25p later on
JA
james-2001
That first VIDfire'd Dad's Army discovery was a long time ago, must have been late 2001/early 2002! Presumably they were far from perfecting the process back then.

Newer posts