The Newsroom

Will BBC World News become available in UK?

With the BBC taking control of most UKTV channels. (June 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RK
Rkolsen
Speculating here but the core feed could just be when studios are feeding live content to Red Bee and everything else’s from advertisements to record programs (as there are different ones around the world) it’s black.
GA
Gallunach
ALV posted:
Well, it's technically available in the UK... If your home has a satellite dish, you can point it to Hotbird 13B (13.0°E) or Astra 4A (4.8°E) and tune it to their respective frequency to receive the European feed of the channel. (Go to lyngsat.com for frequency details)... I'm not sure if the core feed is available on satellite or it's only available to the BBC privately.

Could they not let it go out on Astra but not on Sky EPG or Freesat EPG
HA
harshy Founding member
ALV posted:
Well, it's technically available in the UK... If your home has a satellite dish, you can point it to Hotbird 13B (13.0°E) or Astra 4A (4.8°E) and tune it to their respective frequency to receive the European feed of the channel. (Go to lyngsat.com for frequency details)... I'm not sure if the core feed is available on satellite or it's only available to the BBC privately.

It’s on 19.2e in 8.6mbps full HD.

And bbc world news is too good for uk viewers, bbc news studios lit up in every colour combo imaginable, it’s too much for the humble tv licence fee viewer.
NG
noggin Founding member
ALV posted:

Could they not let it go out on Astra but not on Sky EPG or Freesat EPG

What would be the commercial reason for the BBC to pay the large amount of money to put it on Astra 28.2 - which is a slot used almost exclusively for services aimed at UK and Ireland - if the channel were not broadcast in the UK (and thus there was no advertising revenue generated by this slot)?
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Did the alleged "core feed" exist in the days when there was a breakfiller played out for those regions which didn't opt out for adverts?

If it was simple to produce an ad-free version - and the incident involving a sponsored bumper going out on BBC One when Breakfast took World News during a fire alarm in Salford suggests it is a tad more complex - then I see no reason not to make it available on the BBC News app for connected TVs. The appropriateness of expecting UK license payers to fund a service we can't see is questionable, and there is some form of precedent in World Service Radio being availabe on digital platforms in the UK.
NG
noggin Founding member
Did the alleged "core feed" exist in the days when there was a breakfiller played out for those regions which didn't opt out for adverts?

Yes - and at one point I think the adverts were inserted outside of the BBC - so a core feed did exist. When the BBC started playing out multiple regional variants I think this changed.

Quote:

If it was simple to produce an ad-free version - and the incident involving a sponsored bumper going out on BBC One when Breakfast took World News during a fire alarm in Salford suggests it is a tad more complex - then I see no reason not to make it available on the BBC News app for connected TVs. The appropriateness of expecting UK license payers to fund a service we can't see is questionable, and there is some form of precedent in World Service Radio being availabe on digital platforms in the UK.

Where is the licence fee funding? BBC World News is a commercially funded channel that doesn't cost the licence fee payer anything AIUI (unless the channel is making a heavy loss) In many ways this is the same as BBC Brit, BBC Knowledge, BBC Entertainment etc. They aren't provided in the UK either (though are run by BBC Studios - was Worldwide)...

BBC World Service Radio has always been available (and is commercial free) via analogue (648kHz covered a lot of the UK) and IS now largely licence fee funded (previously it was grant in aid funded by the Foreign Office).
JA
Jamesypoo
The appropriateness of expecting UK license payers to fund a service we can't see is questionable, and there is some form of precedent in World Service Radio being availabe on digital platforms in the UK.

UK license payers don't fund it though, do they? The funds come from advertising and distribution revenue. If anything doesn't profit go from there back to the UK services?
IS
Inspector Sands

Yes - and at one point I think the adverts were inserted outside of the BBC - so a core feed did exist. When the BBC started playing out multiple regional variants I think this changed.

There is a 'core' or master version of World News and I'm fairly certain that it's ad free (I've never seen one on it). However I'm not sure what they do with sponsorship, if there is any. Years ago on one of the two occasions when World went out on BBC1 (the night of the bomb)the nightshift in playout had to cover sponsorship bumpers as they were still on it

But yes those were the days when it was a single version (albeit in 625 and 525 formats) and outside companies inserted their ads. Then they added Europe and eventually all the other streams. I think there are some partners around the world that still insert ads, hence the master.

Even if they wanted an ad free version and there wasn't one already its wouldn't be that difficult to do, they already have 5 or 6 variants
NG
noggin Founding member

There is a 'core' or master version of World News and I'm fairly certain that it's ad free (I've never seen one on it). However I'm not sure what they do with sponsorship, if there is any. Years ago on one of the two occasions when World went out on BBC1 (the night of the bomb)the nightshift in playout had to cover sponsorship bumpers as they were still on it

But yes those were the days when it was a single version (albeit in 625 and 525 formats) and outside companies inserted their ads. Then they added Europe and eventually all the other streams. I think there are some partners around the world that still insert ads, hence the master.

Even if they wanted an ad free version and there wasn't one already its wouldn't be that difficult to do, they already have 5 or 6 variants

Very happy to be corrected Smile
HA
harshy Founding member

Are they the encrypted powervu feeds with multiple soundtracks?
IS
Inspector Sands

Are they the encrypted powervu feeds with multiple soundtracks?

All the transponder details are on sites like Lyngsat. I'm not totally across how it's distributed for uplink but I don't think there's any secret encrypted feeds of it.

Not sure what you mean by multiple soundtracks, it's album English as far as I know. Though years ago when I worked on it there was a department that dubbed the channel into Japanese for Japan, I don't know if that's still a thing
HA
harshy Founding member
multiple soundtracks like talkback for example.

Newer posts