TV Home Forum

TV Licence Fee Decision

No Continued universal over 75's exemption (June 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JK
JKDerry
Does anyone really watch BBC Four anymore?

Me.

Quote:
Wouldn't their programming suit BBC Two, who have vast amounts of hours free which they simply air repeats or simulcast with BBC News.

No.

Why wouldn't their programming suit BBC Two? Just saying "No" doesn't help. Give me your suggestions please. They would be most welcome.
IS
Inspector Sands

Thank you for the clarification. Forgive me, my mathematics was never great at school.

Same here, still awful now. But it's more an understanding of basic business concepts such as the difference between income (turnover) and profit that is useful.

Incidently I don't know if £80-90ish* million net profit on a revenue of £1ish billion" is a good amount of profit or not

*the 1 billion includes joint ventures, so the profit given varies depending on whether these are included or not
AS
Ash101

CBBC and Cbeebies should be merged into one 24 hour broadcasting network, with various blocks for different age groups.

This idea wouldn’t mean better value for licence fee money?

What “block” would you be airing at 1am? Hardly better use of the space than having BBC Four airing a documentary for a more appropriately aged person at that time of night.
BM
BM11
The BBC are not going to be able withstand this for long - I suspect an U turn is coming and then massive cuts which in the end kill the BBC because even more people stop using their services (As the cuts will be targeted at things minority and younger people enjoy.)
And I can see Tony Hall resigning as part of the inevitable U turn.
NL
Ne1L C
BM11 posted:
The BBC are not going to be able withstand this for long - I suspect an U turn is coming and then massive cuts which in the end kill the BBC because even more people stop using their services (As the cuts will be targeted at things minority and younger people enjoy.)

And replace it with what?
MR
mr_vivian
The TV license hasn't been fit for purpose for years. The BBC has got bigger and bigger and the TV license has only increased bit by bit.

It makes sense to me that it wouldn't be fit for purpose.

BBC News, BBC Four, CBeebies and CBBC should really be gone by now.

I think they'd need to consider advertising because I'm not sure how else they are going to get the money to support all the services they have left. It may end what the BBC is all about but I think it's all over. The BBC really is on its knees now.
CA
Cando
BM11 posted:

But I thought he resigned after the Cliff Richard case? Rolling Eyes Maybe UK Eurovision participation will be axed Shocked
BM
BM11
BM11 posted:

Probabaly with a commercial broadcaster or maybe a subscription one while ITV takes a few bits of PSB stuff.
MR
mr_vivian
BM11 posted:
BM11 posted:

Probabaly with a commercial broadcaster or maybe a subscription one while ITV takes a few bits of PSB stuff.

They need to find solutions quickly. If they do a U turn they are going to be in panic mode and no doubt they won't have a plan b. They'll need to seriously consider getting income from elsewhere.
BM
BM11
BM11 posted:

They need to find solutions quickly. If they do a U turn they are going to be in panic mode and no doubt they won't have a plan b. They'll need to seriously consider getting income from elsewhere.

I don't think a mixed system like in Ireland will work so it will have to be a total new funding - i.e Commercials or Subscription. And even then there is both PPV style subscription or a netflix style system - the later for example would ironically not be used used by many of the people who are set to lose their free license.

Problem is the BBC will probably u turn within the next week and just say they will hope to presuade the goverment to support them to tide them over while privatly preparing for the cutes.
JO
Jon
BM11 posted:
BM11 posted:

Yes, because ITV are going to be happy taking all the BBC PSB requirements whilst the commercial lucrative stuff goes to a new rival.
iee_reith and Brekkie gave kudos
BM
BM11
Jon posted:
BM11 posted:

Yes, because ITV are going to be happy taking all the BBC PSB requirements whilst the commercial lucrative stuff goes to a new rival.

I mean the very basic stuff like sports rights and some political coverage.

Newer posts