The Newsroom

CBSN LOCAL - CBS to accelerate local channels nationwide

Chicago and other major cities to get CBSN Local channels by 2020 (June 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NY
NYTV
Today CBS launches CBSN Los Angeles from the KCBS and KCAL newsroom based at Studio City. This channel follows the successful format perfected at CBSN NY. The old newsroom set was modified in a costeffective way for this OTT streaming network. The station apparently has new mic flags featuring the CBSN LA logo and a large CBS eye logo.

According to industry publications the main CBSN is proving to be quite successful and the launch of CBSN NY has been successful as well. Plans are for CBSN Boston latet this year and then CBSN San Francisco. Apparently the CBS Chicago affiliate news product so weak they got passed over to launch a local channel for the 3rd largest market.

https://digiday.com/media/cbs-news-24-hour-streaming-network-cbsn-crosses-1-million-daily-video-streams/
https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/cbs-news-launches-a-24-7-live-streaming-news-services-for-los-angeles/
https://deadline.com/2019/06/cbs-launches-los-angeles-streaming-news-service-continuing-nationwide-rollout-1202630204

The new mic flag design is CBS EYE / CBSN (insert city), with the last two sides being station IDs. In New York and LA, it'll have the CBS 2s on one side and the sister station logos (KCAL/WLNY) on the other side
CH
Charles

Wow, I had no idea it dated back so long. The national desk in my mind doesn’t seem to match up with old studio.

I found a picture. It was from that brief, late 2010/early 2011 era when they swapped Harry Smith and Maggie Rodriguez for Chris Wragge and Erica Hill. Around the same time, they also swapped the main desk and update desk with much uglier ones.

It looks as though CBSN painted it, put different lettering in the front, and put a bigger glass top on it.

RK
Rkolsen

Wow, I had no idea it dated back so long. The national desk in my mind doesn’t seem to match up with old studio.

I found a picture. It was from that brief, late 2010/early 2011 era when they swapped Harry Smith and Maggie Rodriguez for Chris Wragge and Erica Hill. Around the same time, they also swapped the main desk and update desk with much uglier ones.

It looks as though CBSN painted it, put different lettering in the front, and put a bigger glass top on it.

Damn I knew cbs was cheap but not that cheap.
Mouseboy33 and BBI45 gave kudos
MO
Mouseboy33
LOL. Im sure all the network news divisions have storage spaces with loads of unused set pieces. CBS just happens to repaint and reuse theirs. Cheapskates. Well it is cheap route to go, but their thriftiness resulted in a profitable operations. Too bad CNN Headline News couldnt figure this out. (Yet Zucker still has a job)
Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 14 November 2019 1:08pm - 2 times in total
RK
Rkolsen
LOL. Im sure all the network news divisions have storage spaces with loads of unused set pieces. CBS just happens to repaint and reuse theirs. Cheapskates. Well it is cheap route to go, but their thriftiness his out. (Yet Zucker still has a job)

I know there’s space for it, probably hidden away somewhere in the Broadcast Center basement. But it’s a sharp contrast to NBC and them playing desk roulette (maybe NBC’s scenic shop does them but CBS has one as well in NYC) and even ABC to an extent.

32 days later

JU
Justin
CBSN sharing the feed from CBSN NY makes for some really strong coverage of the blackout as compared to CNN and others. WCBS anchor Jessica Moore is doing a great job as an anchor explaining things while keeping things together between the different live shots.

27 days later

MO
Mouseboy33
Well it looks like CBS isnt wasting anytime launching their CBSN LOCAL channels at their O&O stations nationwide. It looks like bottom-feeder affiliate WBBM will be one of the next after Boston and San Francisco channels to launch in 2020 alongside KYW and the Dallas afilliate. Boston is a really crowded news market with NECN and WHDH doing loads of newshours a day now WBZ joins the crowd, that doesnt include WCVB and NBC Boston. Broadcast and Cable has the latest:

Quote:
CBS Television Stations and CBS Interactive are accelerating their rollout of CBSN Local, the company’s direct-to-consumer streaming news service, in all 13 owned markets.

CBSN New York debuted in December and CBSN Los Angeles in June.

CBSN Boston is next, and CBSN San Francisco Bay Area is scheduled for a fourth quarter release.

CBS Television Stations’ remaining nine markets will premiere their CBSN Local products in early 2020.

CBSN Local services have 24/7 anchored programming, coverage of live local news and a library of local news content on demand. They are ad-supported.

“The early success of CBSN New York and CBSN Los Angeles has exceeded our expectations,” said Peter Dunn, president, CBS Television Stations. “It is clear there is significant demand for high-quality local news coverage on streaming services, and we are moving forward with excitement as we prepare to launch CBSN Local services in all 13 of our local news markets. Our accelerated rollout schedule ensures launches in all of these markets ahead of the 2020 political primaries and elections.”

CBS announced earnings Aug. 8.

Besides its stations in New York, Los Angeles, Boston and the Bay Area, CBS’ owned stations include WBBM Chicago, KTVT Dallas-Fort Worth, KYW-WPSG Philadelphia, WCCO Minneapolis-St. Paul, KCNC Denver, WFOR Miami, KOVR-KMAX Sacramento, KDKA-WPCW Pittsburgh and WJZ Baltimore.

“The collaboration between CBS Television Stations and CBS Interactive, coupled with the enthusiastic response from the teams at our local stations, has created a winning combination, both for CBS and the millions of viewers we serve,” said Adam Wiener, executive VP and general manager of CBS Local Digital Media. “We are excited to address the rising demand for local, relevant and useful information on all platforms by leveraging our existing local news assets to dramatically expand the distribution of CBSN Local services.”

CBSN launched in November 2014. CBSN Local services are available through CBSN, CBSNews.com and through the CBS News app.

“Access to reliable local news is a priority for our audiences from coast to coast,” said Christy Tanner, executive VP and general manager of CBS News Digital.

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/all-cbsn-local-launches-to-happen-by-early-2020?utm_source=mixdex.com&utm_campaign=MixDexLink&utm_medium=referral&ref=MixDex
SE
seamus
It's really a shame that they don't carry CBSN local on their OTA subchannels, it really does seem like a missed opportunity, especially since most subchannels are absolute garbage.
MO
Mouseboy33
Ehhh. Streaming is so big right now and CBS has really planted their flag in that arena. So it get the strategy. Somehow they are able to make the advertising model to work for the channels to make a profit so clearly they are on to something.
LH
lhx1985
Interesting that NBC are still pretty much dipping their toes into OTT news streaming while CBS are making a definite play to own this sector, not only nationally (CBSN, CBS Sports News, ET Live), but with a local service for each of the cities where they have an O&O station.

Meanwhile NBC's 'NBC News Now' is a pretty crappy offering, probably worse than the 'NBC News Signal', which was the orignial NBC experiment in this area.
Last edited by lhx1985 on 9 August 2019 3:02pm
BR
Brekkie
It's really a shame that they don't carry CBSN local on their OTA subchannels, it really does seem like a missed opportunity, especially since most subchannels are absolute garbage.

I guess it is purely a financial call - they'll get paid for the garbage channel they do put out and by going OTA these channels suddenly have a broadcast cost again them which possibly sends them into the red. In addition they'll be an expectation I imagine to then replicate them on cable.

How are these being distributed though - is it through CBS All Access which presumably has an app for smart TVs and most cable operators so they can be viewed on screen.

TBH this is the model the BBC should be using for BBC Parliament - they nearly got there with Democracy Live but it was axed before it took off. And on a local level I've always felt ITV Local was ahead of it's time and although maybe not as a continuous looped streaming channel I do think there would be some mileage in reviving it as a TV app with on demand news and features, and perhaps the ability for extra live content when it is required.
MO
Mouseboy33
These CBS channels are nothing to do with CBS ALL ACCESS, they are part of the separate CBS NEWS App. OTT streaming viewing has nothing to do with Cable Operators. So if you have a streaming device such as Amazon Fire, Roku, Apple Tv which allows these channels and operators to completely sidestep Cable Operators and their unending greed. Though they do, for now, get people to play for internet. But with 5G coming that monoply will end. So currently people are sidestepping the traditional cable operators and choosing streaming "cable" operators, Playstion VUE, Youtube TV, Philo, AT&TTV, SlingTV, Fubotv. I would imagine they are similar to NowTv (I know now offers Tv and Internet service in the UK), but doesnt use a proprietary box. Also these services have no contract, so you can cancel at anytime.

One of the biggest developments in the recent year is the adbased free content channels and services like PLUTOTV and XUMO. Viacom just bought one of the biggest ad-based free content providers. PLUTO TV launched in 2014 now has over 100 hundreds of channels and have signed deals with various content providers such as the BBC. There is a rolling DR WHO channel, ANTIQUES ROADSHOW. ITV licensed a free rolling MIDSOMER MURDERS channel. There is a BRITISH CHANNEL. Featuring various UK series. There are multiple news channels. SkyNews and CBSN being the only 2 real channels. CNN and NBC both provided "best of content" channels and WEATHERNATION is featured. SInce the service is now owned by VIACOM they have gone all in. THere are specific channels based on 1000s of hours of content that sat on VIACOM shelves. MTV's THE HILLS channel. And MTV's THE CHALLENGE and actual music channels. Which have died for the most part in the US TV. So They have YO MTV Raps channel, They launched a special VMA Perfomances Channel for awards show in the next few weeks. All free and ad based. Apparently PLUTOTV takes a cut as so does the content provided , such as the BBC. So everyone is happy and content makes money rather than sitting on the shelf. They claim its 8 mins of ads per hour.

Check it out if its not geoblocked -https://pluto.tv/live-tv/channel-lineup

So streaming is the place to be. Or at least there is money to be made.
Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 9 August 2019 6:19pm - 3 times in total

Newer posts