TV Home Forum

TV Licence Fee Decision

No Continued universal over 75's exemption (June 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CA
Cando

I could see a model where the more commercially viable non PSB programming (EastEnders, Strictly) is sold off to other broadcasters, with the BBC continuing to produce it as an indie.

That additional income and new gaps in the schedule subsidise the more niche programming that commercial channels wouldn't touch, and helps to offset the net reduction in licence fee.

Then nobody watches the new niche programming and then people ask what are they paying a licence fee for. Next closure.
Literally Murdoch's plan for the BBC from 30 years ago
VM
VMPhil
Cando posted:

I could see a model where the more commercially viable non PSB programming (EastEnders, Strictly) is sold off to other broadcasters, with the BBC continuing to produce it as an indie.

That additional income and new gaps in the schedule subsidise the more niche programming that commercial channels wouldn't touch, and helps to offset the net reduction in licence fee.

Then nobody watches the new niche programming and then people ask what are they paying a licence fee for. Next closure.

Exactly. No popular entertainment programmes would mean a vast majority of people not interested in paying the licence fee, so no minority services like Radio 3, Asian Network or BBC Four that arguably make the BBC what it is.
JA
james-2001
Someone on DS earlier was saying the BBC should shut down the Asian Network (and BBC Alba) because they don't make use of them and they're a waste of money... that's the mindset we're fighting here.
MA
Markymark
Cando posted:

Exactly. No popular entertainment programmes would mean a vast majority of people not interested in paying the licence fee, so no minority services like Radio 3, Asian Network or BBC Four that arguably make the BBC what it is.

In other words, SCD, R1/2, Eastenders etc effectively subsidise R3/BBC4/AN etc, and that's the crux of the problem. The vast majority of the viewers and listeners have to feel they are getting value for money, but of course the popular stuff is <cough> cost effective
BR
Brekkie
No surprise to see the Tories baiting the BBC with this, with Lorraine's friend saying she's "ashamed of the BBC" and another saying the "BBC must do more to help old people". Last I looked the BBC was a public service broadcaster, not a pension provider.

We shouldn't be too surprised though - this has been a Tory tactic throughout their government of cutting funding to councils and public services then criticising them when they can't provide that service.
RI
Riaz
I think there is a reasonable discussion to be had around the PSB remit of the BBC.

That additional income and new gaps in the schedule subsidise the more niche programming that commercial channels wouldn't touch, and helps to offset the net reduction in licence fee. As well as creating new opportunities for up and coming writers and programme makers.

Nobody has yet mentioned the analogue switch off and it's potential opportunity for the BBC to re-organise its channels and its method of funding.

Should the TV licence be abolished and a system created where popular entertainment is moved over to channels that are funded from subscription, advertising, or both, and the strictly PSB material along with news and factual programmes are on another channel with no advertising and is 'free' to watch?
IS
Inspector Sands
I’m a bit torn on this debate. On the one hand I feel that the BBC’s existence as a public service broadcaster is nonnegotiable. However, I have to ask if the BBC couldn’t stand to be cut back a bit?

It's seen nothing but cuts for the last decade or two, they don't ever get to the end of one cost cutting scheme before another starts.

The over 75s I come into contact with don’t feel particularly well served by the BBC, particularly radio.

There’s a general sense among them that TV ( not just the BBC) is not really aimed at them anymore.

I think that is true to an extent, but the problem is: what do people in their 70s want to watch? It's not as if they've all got the same likes and tastes, just like any generation.

My parents for example, one watches all the soaps, the other watches hours or Sky Sports and war films (I'll let you work out which parent likes which!), and both enjoy an afternoon quiz. But they'll still watch modern comedies like QI, Have I Got News For You and Cats Countdown. The in laws don't watch anything that's new, but just like murder mysteries and those cheap made for TV films. Two totally different tastes.

I think a lot of progress has been made in the last few years in coming up with programmes with a broad appeal, those that are 'gentle' (a bad word but best I can think of) to appeal to appeal to those in their 70s but are also get a younger or family audience too. The two biggest TV hits of the last decade, Bake Off (and'it's spin offs) and Strictly are perfect examples, but there's Canal Journeys too, and Channel 5 have done a lot of good documentary series, the one on at the moment about the Yorkshire Railway for example. Another one that springs to mind is Marigold Hotel, which was deliberately created for the older viewer but me and Mrs Sands, both in our 40s loved watching that with the 70 something senior Sands

I think, hope there's a lot more of that
NL
Ne1L C
Riaz posted:
I think there is a reasonable discussion to be had around the PSB remit of the BBC.

That additional income and new gaps in the schedule subsidise the more niche programming that commercial channels wouldn't touch, and helps to offset the net reduction in licence fee. As well as creating new opportunities for up and coming writers and programme makers.

Nobody has yet mentioned the analogue switch off and it's potential opportunity for the BBC to re-organise its channels and its method of funding.

Should the TV licence be abolished and a system created where popular entertainment is moved over to channels that are funded from subscription, advertising, or both, and the strictly PSB material along with news and factual programmes are on another channel with no advertising and is 'free' to watch?

Do you mean using the analogue channels?
MA
Markymark

I think a lot of progress has been made in the last few years in coming up with programmes with a broad appeal, those that are 'gentle' (a bad word but best I can think of) to appeal to appeal to those in their 70s but are also get a younger or family audience too. The two biggest TV hits of the last decade, Bake Off (and'it's spin offs) and Strictly are perfect examples, but there's Canal Journeys too, and Channel 5 have done a lot of good documentary series, the one on at the moment about the Yorkshire Railway for example. Another one that springs to mind is Marigold Hotel, which was deliberately created for the older viewer but me and Mrs Sands, both in our 40s loved watching that with the 70 something senior Sands

Yes, my mother likes the Timothy West/Prunella Scales Canal Journies, as well as a lot of C5's '4 slebs in a situation' type programmes.

SCD is an interesting example, both her and my late mother-in-law were big SCD fans, until recent years, because they contained few (if any) celebrities that they knew, and (my assessment of their dislike) the programme became a bit too over produced, and lost the simplicity it had when it started 15 years ago. They both felt it was now aimed solely at 'young people'.

MIL loved anything with Ant'nDec in it, my mother cannot, and never could stand the pair !
IS
Inspector Sands
I think the danger is that the BBC start making programmes specifically for those in their 70s as they'll inevitably get it very wrong.

The difference between them and their parents generation in terms of their outlook, attitudes and tastes are quite different, they grew up in the 50s and 60s and have experienced some major changes to society
PA
Parker
You make a wide selection of programmes aimed at as many people as possible, unless we are now saying that the over 60's only like once type of programme and the second they make 70 they must move on. Sad
The best way of ensuring there is something for everyone is by everyone pays a bit towards it. If people are so selfish that they cant see further than their own insular needs then they , deserve respect.
iee_reith and Inspector Sands gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
Let's not forget the average age of users of most BBC channels is in the 60s. The older audience uses the BBC far more than a younger audience - they certainly don't need to aim older.

As others have said tastes vary hugely though and can be quite surprising. Remember a few years back catching my parents laughing their heads off at Jackass.

I think the BBC and other broadcasters in fact actually are far more successful at capturing a wide audience rather than targeting the various niches. The likes of Line of Duty and Planet Earth really cross the generations.
iee_reith and Parker gave kudos

Newer posts