TV Home Forum

TV Breakdown Appreciation Thread

We'll return as soon as possible. (April 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Could it be that two regions were playing out different series of the programme and the wrong one got routed to STV? Did the white and blue sides get swapped at any point?
RO
robertclark125
Hi Steve. As far as I can remember, the white and the blue sides were in their normal places, but the contestants were in different places. The two being on the white side, the single person being on the blue side.
IT
itvblocks
I remember a fault happening whilst ITV4 was showing the Europa League highlights about 7/8 years ago?

I vividly remember this happening, I was watching one of the matches, one of the teams score and suddenly the audio cuts off, the picture was still being shown at this point, but the ITV4 logo (with some other blocky graphics to go with it) appeared on-screen!

The ITV4 graphic stayed on screen for about a minute before the audio comes back and the graphic disappears, the announcer didn't even apologise either!

11 days later

CU
Curto21
I remember one STV breakdown from late 2008 or early 2009 that used to be on Youtube
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Thanks for that insightful post. Tell us more, what was special about it?
elmarko, Inspector Sands and Larry the Loafer gave kudos
CH
channel4squares1
I remember one STV breakdown from late 2008 or early 2009 that used to be on Youtube

I remember seeing that one, that had the camera going round the logo a few times with the same music as the 2007 breakdown already on Youtube
JF
JetixFann450

I remember seeing that one, that had the camera going round the logo a few times with the same music as the 2007 breakdown already on Youtube

I think I also remember a STV breakdown slide using the branding style of 2009, but contained no logo but the background of the idents.
CU
Curto21
Thanks for that insightful post. Tell us more, what was special about it?

Well, it happened when this morning went for an advert break just before the late morning ITV news update.
Instead of the adverts, the ad cap for this morning stayed on the screen until the fault caption appeared. Then after a minute, the ITV news update started like normal but when ITV news handed over to the regional newsrooms the fault card was placed instead of north today which was my regional news program.

This lasted for I think 5-7 minutes before handing back to this morning.
RO
robertclark125
TV ark had, and once it returns no doubt, will have footage of an Anglia TV breakdown, during the triangles logo period, when the breakdown lasted over 15 minutes, and had two different announcers!
TT
ttt
I've probably mentioned this one before, but there was an episode of Wheel of Fortune in the early 1990s that fell off the air (at least in the YTV and TT areas) during the second part (this was prior to 1992). The tape just stopped/froze.

After several minutes, TT canned the entire programme and showed cartoons instead (two WB cartoons separated by quite a lengthy menu/programme rundown sequence). YTV however continued to show it with significant screen distortion, where it looked like the (looked like 1" analogue) tape wasn't tracking correctly; the speed was all over the place and there were thick dropout lines running up the screen. YTV had a message apologising for the poor quality throughout the second half.

Clearly the regions must have been told by STV that the usual picture quality would not be restored otherwise TT would not have opted out, but that begs the question why did the programme continue to go out in the sub-standard state, and why were different decisions made by the regions on whether to opt out.
Last edited by ttt on 11 June 2019 10:47am - 2 times in total
IT
itvblocks
(Original description from TV Home, date of transmission: Friday 13th October 2000)

Since 4th October BBC One has had it's own 1pm opt-out clock for each region. The south-east opted out a little too late so we got the normal BBC One clock and then went to the regional clock and a stuttered announcement as the time went over by one second before going back to the normal clock.

Last edited by itvblocks on 11 June 2019 11:56am
SW
Steve Williams
ttt posted:
I've probably mentioned this one before, but there was an episode of Wheel of Fortune in the early 1990s that fell off the air (at least in the YTV and TT areas) during the second part (this was prior to 1992). The tape just stopped/froze.

I do remember an episode of Wheel of Fortune, probably the same one, being affected because the following week's episode was preceded by a little montage of what had happened in part two, presumably put together by STV. I remember the winning answer in the final was "NEWS AT TEN". Funny the things, eh?

Newer posts