TV Home Forum

Good Morning Britain

From Television Centre (April 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands

Mike Morris did have a Sunday morning slot on GMTV.

I don't think he got it straight away though, I think it started a few months in after they had to quickly revamp to be more like TV-am because nobody was watching. Unlike Lorraine who transferred over from the start.

Yes, as the caption and article suggest, he joined GMTV in July, but of course only on a reduced role.

The other on screen name apart from Lorraine who moved from TVam to GMTV for launch was Dr Hillary Jones.
SW
Steve Williams
Not quite, at TVam she presented the main news based programme, Good Morning Britain, which is the equivalent of today's programme of the same name. Apart from a brief period when she was became co-presenter of Daybreak shes been on the more fluffy lifestyle based later programme (ehs TVam called After Nine) where she is today

While she did the 9am slot on GMTV when it launched, she was moved back to the main show pretty early on after the abrupt departure of Fiona Armstrong and stayed there for a year, alongside Eamonn Holmes who was promoted to five days a week after initially joining to present Fridays and Sundays, with original weekday host Michael Wilson moving to the 6am slot.

I don't think he got it straight away though, I think it started a few months in after they had to quickly revamp to be more like TV-am because nobody was watching. Unlike Lorraine who transferred over from the start.

That's right, although a lot of TV-am personnel moved over, like Dr Hilary and many of the reporters. As you say, Mike Morris wasn't there at the start, and famously an old lady phoned up on the first day to ask where he'd gone. As Morning Glory points out, a few weeks in Mike Morris was asked about people saying they wanted TV-am back, and he said "We miss them and clearly they miss us too", as if TV-am was still a going concern.

Mike Morris was one of a couple of TV-am faces who came back after a few months as GMTV was doing so badly, Greavsie was another one who returned to his old TV critic beat (not for long, though). The Sunday GMTV was a bit of an odd one, at the start it was very much a sixth GMTV show, broadcast live with news and guests, and as I say Eamonn Holmes did that and Friday's show with Anne Davies. Eamonn gave Sundays up when he went to five days a week and Morris joined in his place.

He stayed there for a about a year but the Sunday GMTV increasingly became a David Frost-style show majoring on news and politics - which was a result of GMTV's early run-ins with the ITC who thought their initial news coverage was crap. Morris then left saying he thought it was "indegestible" for Sunday morning and it became a fully-fledged news programme with Alistair Stewart.
nwtv2003, Lou Scannon and Spencer gave kudos
AA
Aaron_2015
Of course the same happened with Kate Garraway

Took a much reduced role on Daybreak which could have looked like an embarrassing demotion, but played the long game and after not very long was back in place doing pretty much her old job.

The same happened with Kate and the end of Daybreak, she was essentially demoted to occasional relief newsreader on GMB. Within a year, she was back as a main presenter. Even if Charlotte hadn’t gone on maternity leave, I think Kate would have ended up back as a main presenter eventually.

I can’t personally see Charlotte wanting to move to ITV News in the future, there isn’t really the same level of ‘celebrity’ that comes with it. I actually think she’d be better as a main presenter on BBC Breakfast, but there quite a few drawbacks moving from ITV to the BBC (the smaller salaries and having to commute to Salford in the case of Breakfast).
AN
Andrew Founding member
Fiona Phillips has now waded in to the ROW

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7127283/Lorraine-Kelly-hits-Esther-McVey-feud-GMTV-days.html

Although it seems Lorraine herself isn’t exactly sure of her CV, as she hasn’t had her own show since 1992

The BBC have also done a report

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48593068

It’s amusing reading all the reports getting tied up by trying to recall all the various names Lorraine’s show has had, which as the BBC say were basically all the same show.

What year was it when Lorraine first got her name in the show’s title?
WH
Whataday Founding member
Although it seems Lorraine herself isn’t exactly sure of her CV, as she hasn’t had her own show since 1992

She signed her contract in 1992 to host Top of the Morning from January 1993. When GMTV very quickly fell apart she was drafted in to host the main programme for about a year before she was fired while on maternity leave, and then rehired to host a slot which became Nine O'Clock Live which was then brought forward to 8:30 and re-titled Lorraine Live.

By the time Esther joined, Lorraine had her own show, which isn't really a demotion by any stretch of the imagination.

By virtually all accounts, Esther is dreadful to work with (and Lorraine is lovely).
DJ Dave and Lou Scannon gave kudos
IS
Inspector Sands
Can we just take a moment to acknowledge what an awful title 'Top Of The Morning' was Shocked
what, Lou Scannon and Spencer gave kudos
NA
natoswald

I expect by 'rating' he means share..
DJ Dave and Lou Scannon gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
So enraged at least 50% more were watching the BBC.
JK
JKDerry
BBC Breakfast you have to admit is a totally dull, boring programme, but nearly 1.5 million decide to watch it every day.

GMB is brash, in your face, and exciting at times, and yes, it has the god awful Piers Moron on it three days a week, but it does add something to it, but only 700,000 or so tune in.

Dullness with BBC Oneness must be what people want at 6.00am.
AN
Andrew Founding member
BBC Breakfast you have to admit is a totally dull, boring programme, but nearly 1.5 million decide to watch it every day.

GMB is brash, in your face, and exciting at times, and yes, it has the god awful Piers Moron on it three days a week, but it does add something to it, but only 700,000 or so tune in.

Dullness with BBC Oneness must be what people want at 6.00am.

This isn’t new

It’s pretty churlish to believe an increase in GMB ratings aren’t allowed to be mentioned unless they beat the BBC though
IS
Inspector Sands
I don't think it's dull and boring. It's just a proper, non gimmicky, non sensational, news and current affairs programme.

That's why it gets viewers - it's no nonsense, tells you what's happening, it's friendly and not shouting at you, it's not full of reality TV stars and it does all its regular features at the same time every day
DO
dosxuk
Anyone who tells me BBC Breakfast is always dull and boring just gets pointed towards the whole flypast thing they did in Sheffield.

Newer posts