TV Home Forum

New BBC corporate font: BBC Reith

To replace Gill Sans in print and on screen (May 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AL
AaronLancs
I think we all know this pace of rollout is a deliberate decision, and not a necessary approach. They could have spent the past two years working on all the individual parts of the organisation's branding.

But the font project started first. Then BBC Sport needed to rebrand before everything else was ready. Next came BBC Four and then BBC Two. News is next, and then possibly (hopefully) BBC One will get a rebrand using Reith.

For BBC News specifically, it is possible that there was a plan to launch the new graphics sooner, but things cropped up which delayed things, and so individual programmes were ready to change their logos, and they went ahead.

Let's hope they don't kill off those beautiful curve idents from BBC Two.
They're just amazing to look at

I don't know if you have noticed the BBC Two font with the curve idents is BBC Reith in the two forms standard and sans.
VM
VMPhil
Can we maybe lock this thread until we get definite proof that something is going to happen? Might sound OTT but otherwise it's just going to be many more pages of the same thing.
chevron, james-2001 and rob gave kudos
MO
Moz
I think we all know this pace of rollout is a deliberate decision, and not a necessary approach. They could have spent the past two years working on all the individual parts of the organisation's branding.

But the font project started first. Then BBC Sport needed to rebrand before everything else was ready. Next came BBC Four and then BBC Two. News is next, and then possibly (hopefully) BBC One will get a rebrand using Reith.

For BBC News specifically, it is possible that there was a plan to launch the new graphics sooner, but things cropped up which delayed things, and so individual programmes were ready to change their logos, and they went ahead.

Let's hope they don't kill off those beautiful curve idents from BBC Two.
They're just amazing to look at

I don't know if you have noticed the BBC Two font with the curve idents is BBC Reith in the two forms standard and sans.

Yes!
MO
Moz
Can we maybe lock this thread until we get definite proof that something is going to happen? Might sound OTT but otherwise it's just going to be many more pages of the same thing.

The thread is about Reith across the BBC, which *is* happening, not just it's implementation on the News Channel lower thirds which we have been talking about recently. So I reckon it'd be wrong to lock it.
AS
Asa Admin
I don’t think it needs to be locked but there’s clearly some posting for the sake of it going on here, particularly if we’re going to have the same “anyone know?”/“let’s see at 6am Monday” comments.

If a new date crops up or someone spots Reith out in the wild on something new then great, otherwise consider whether it’s really worth posting.
HB
HarryB
I wonder how long we will see the mis match of Helvetica and Reith.

WO
Worzel

...it had to be done. Laughing
Last edited by Worzel on 10 June 2019 6:23pm
AG
AxG
At least it was in Helvetica and Reith, unlike this example from yesterday using Myriad. *
HB
HarryB
AxG posted:
At least it was in Helvetica and Reith, unlike this example from yesterday using Myriad. *

Saturday staff Rolling Eyes
BR
Brekkie
Are we going to have all this every Monday from now until it happens?

The ironic thing is it probably won't happen on a Monday.
NA
natwel27
Watch Reith being introduced on a random Friday with hardly anyone noticing the change because we wouldn't believe it unless it was a Monday.
DM
DeMarkay

...it had to be done. Laughing

This is why I love TV Forum Very Happy Laughing
paul_hadley, theTOTHlad2002 and Juicy Joe gave kudos

Newer posts