The Newsroom

Tory Leadership Contest

Presentation Discussion (June 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AA
Aaron_2015
Worth it’s own topic separate from the Brexit drama I feel.

Several candidates launched their campaigns today, which were shown live on the news channels. Both apparently dropped Matt Hancock’s, however, because the lighting was so poor.

GE
thegeek Founding member
I think I can see some of the glyphs of the Southbank Centre's (previous) brand etched on the windows there - I'm sure people have done live press launches from there before - did they just remember to bring key lights with them?

Channel 4 are broadcasting a debate on Sunday evening: https://www.channel4.com/press/news/channel-4-broadcast-first-live-conservative-leadership-debate
DV
DVB Cornwall
It seems that the BBC 'Debate' is to feature inserts from local studios. BBC Plymouth is to be used as one, confirmed here ....

DA
davidhorman
Quote:
Want to be on @BBCOne 'Our Next Prime Minister' on Tues 18 June, 8pm?

For a moment I thought they were inviting members of the great unwashed to put themselves up for the job. I would have watched that. How Do You Solve A Problem Like Brexit? perhaps. Or Any Deal With Do .
BR
Brekkie
Well, they couldn't do any worse.

Perhaps we could lock all 10 contenders in a house cut off from the outside world.
DA
davidhorman
a house cut off from the outside world.

That's where they work already, isn't it? Alright, back on topic now...
LL
London Lite Founding member
From a presentation POV, my concern about these shows is that the channels will want an editorial agenda where it's like a Question Time circus to get the all important clickbait than a real debate about the very important issues affecting this country to which the new leader will have to deal with.

I already have stopped watching QT because it's too focused on generating social media traffic with soundbites from the guests and more from the audience, of which some have become social media stars in the political bubble than real political debate.
BR
Brekkie
Problem is I suspect that is exactly what the politicians want too. They want to make the headlines, not to explain the details.
AA
Aaron_2015
Hancock’s launch genuinely could have been a scene from The Thick Of It.

It seems that the BBC 'Debate' is to feature inserts from local studios. BBC Plymouth is to be used as one, confirmed here ....

Sounds like the questions are going to come from around the country rather than from an audience. I read somewhere some of the leadership candidates didn’t want to have an audience for the risk of being heckled. I guess it’s far easier to cut off a disgruntled participant than have to have them bundled out of the studio.
Rexogamer and Stuart gave kudos
DA
davidhorman
I just turned over to BBC News to see this on the ticker:

Quote:
Mark Harper, Esther McVey and Andrea Leadsom have been eliminated

Blimey.
Rexogamer, Lou Scannon and London Lite gave kudos
LS
Lou Scannon

Blimey.

Jo Brand didn't waste any time, then?
JO
Jon

Blimey.

Jo Brand didn't waste any time, then?

To be fair she was being egged on by Lorraine Kelly.
Rexogamer and natwel27 gave kudos

Newer posts