TV Home Forum

New BBC corporate font: BBC Reith

To replace Gill Sans in print and on screen (May 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MD
mdtauk
I think we all know this pace of rollout is a deliberate decision, and not a necessary approach. They could have spent the past two years working on all the individual parts of the organisation's branding.

But the font project started first. Then BBC Sport needed to rebrand before everything else was ready. Next came BBC Four and then BBC Two. News is next, and then possibly (hopefully) BBC One will get a rebrand using Reith.

For BBC News specifically, it is possible that there was a plan to launch the new graphics sooner, but things cropped up which delayed things, and so individual programmes were ready to change their logos, and they went ahead.
IS
Inspector Sands
I don't know why you lot are so eager for Reith, you know you're going to despise it when it appears Rolling Eyes
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 10 June 2019 6:47am - 2 times in total
HA
harshy Founding member
But when is it going to appear? Do you know what it looks like on bbc news?
IS
Inspector Sands
Doesn't matter, no-one's going to like it. Nothing can live up to the sort of anticipation that's built up here
MQ
Mr Q
Doesn't matter, no-one's going to like it. Nothing can live up to the sort of anticipation that's built up here

BBC News could switch over to Comic Sans for a week, then launch Reith. That would guarantee just about unanimous support for Reith as an improvement.
MO
Moz

It's not so much that I'm anticipating something amazing. I'm just a bit of a purist who thinks that if a broadcaster has a corporate typeface they should use it, especially on their main news service.

I doubt it will come without some prior hint from someone at the Beeb - Media Boy tweeted some hints ahead of VD and Impact going Reith, so fingers crossed he'll mention something before the News Channel lower thirds implementation. Until he or someone else does I'm no longer getting my hopes up.
DA
davidhorman
Jon posted:
Well that’s a countup!

Maybe it's a sign that it may never happen?

Are you saying they might have had a... Reithink?
SH
Sh1ruba
I think we all know this pace of rollout is a deliberate decision, and not a necessary approach. They could have spent the past two years working on all the individual parts of the organisation's branding.

But the font project started first. Then BBC Sport needed to rebrand before everything else was ready. Next came BBC Four and then BBC Two. News is next, and then possibly (hopefully) BBC One will get a rebrand using Reith.

For BBC News specifically, it is possible that there was a plan to launch the new graphics sooner, but things cropped up which delayed things, and so individual programmes were ready to change their logos, and they went ahead.

Let's hope they don't kill off those beautiful curve idents from BBC Two.
They're just amazing to look at
NA
natwel27

Let's hope they don't kill off those beautiful curve idents from BBC Two.
They're just amazing to look at

I doubt they will. But you know what I do want them to kill off?

That's right... ONENESS!
JA
james-2001
Are we going to have all this every Monday from now until it happens?
PF
PFML84
Yes. Yes we are.
SH
Sh1ruba
Yes. Yes we are.

Ugh... Rolling Eyes

Newer posts