The Newsroom

ITV News

Split from ITV News 2013 Rebrand (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CR
Critique
Related to the above discussion, I noted recently that up in Granadaland they've recently launched a new video podcast, suitably titled 'From the North':

Looks like they've filmed it in their studio space, but not on the Granada Reports set and instead a fairly simple set-up in front of a massive screen.
GM
GMc
Just noticed the ITV News bulletin on air just now is in a 30-minute slot. Usually only 15 minutes on a Sunday night. Are ITV looking to have a regular Sunday night News at Ten, or just a one-off?
AN
Andrew Founding member
GMc posted:
Just noticed the ITV News bulletin on air just now is in a 30-minute slot. Usually only 15 minutes on a Sunday night. Are ITV looking to have a regular Sunday night News at Ten, or just a one-off?

It's back to 20 mins next week.

When discussed elsewhere it was suggested it might be because the Football Highlights aren't able to be aired until after 10:30, so they've padded out the slot until then.
JK
JKDerry
GMc posted:

When discussed elsewhere it was suggested it might be because the Football Highlights aren't able to be aired until after 10:30, so they've padded out the slot until then.

That is some padding for ITV News, to provide a full 30 minute bulletin on a Sunday night.
DJ
DJ Dave
Related to the above discussion, I noted recently that up in Granadaland they've recently launched a new video podcast, suitably titled 'From the North':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BINQZQjW3yQ

Looks like they've filmed it in their studio space, but not on the Granada Reports set and instead a fairly simple set-up in front of a massive screen.

I'm sure that is the Granada Reports set, I read somewhere they they have big curtains to cover the windows for when they film in the winter etc .
BR
Brekkie
Yes, and they can use it as a CSO backdrop as they've done for some specials.
LL
London Lite Founding member
At GiN, I note they have a digital studio which they use. Last time I saw it used was for a ITV News London special which was streamed after the London bulletin finished.
MA
Macalolo
At GiN, I note they have a digital studio which they use. Last time I saw it used was for a ITV News London special which was streamed after the London bulletin finished.

They often use it for interviews with people who have featured on their programme. Nice idea!
GM
GMc
GMc posted:

That makes sense. Nice to see ITV News capable of filling the slot adequately for a Sunday though.
JK
JKDerry

Is that the small studio ITV News Channel would use for the times they were kicked out of the main studio, as ITV national news had to rehearse? I remember ITV News Channel used to come from a small one camera locked off studio until later in 2004 when they moved into the second main virtual news set for the times they were out of the main "Theatre of News" set from 2004-2005.
IT
itsrobert Founding member

Is that the small studio ITV News Channel would use for the times they were kicked out of the main studio, as ITV national news had to rehearse? I remember ITV News Channel used to come from a small one camera locked off studio until later in 2004 when they moved into the second main virtual news set for the times they were out of the main "Theatre of News" set from 2004-2005.

No, they alternated between Studios 1 and 2 back then. There was a separate News Channel control room that could operate both. Of course one is still ITV News and the other is 5 News/Jeremy Vine.
JK
JKDerry

No, they alternated between Studios 1 and 2 back then. There was a separate News Channel control room that could operate both. Of course one is still ITV News and the other is 5 News/Jeremy Vine.

Thanks for that. I do remember however a few weeks after the 2004 relaunch, the news channel went from a one camera lock off shot when they were kicked out of the main studio, to a full size studio, with good shots, and a large desk in the middle, with some walking around by the presenters.

They way you knew they were in the other studio was the lack of reflection on the desk, the whiter colour of the news desk, and the row of spot lights which went around the top of the curved green screen wall.

I wonder when they went from the single camera lock off, to the increased studio look in 2004?

Newer posts