The Newsroom

ABC News (Australia) raid

(June 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NL
Ne1L C
Sad but very true. The only example I can think of in the UK was the "Zircon" incident of the mid 1980's.
MA
Markymark
Sad but very true. The only example I can think of in the UK was the "Zircon" incident of the mid 1980's.

There was a raid on TVS for something, I can't remember the details, but something in the back of my mind says they turned up at Maidstone, when what they were after was at Southampton, or vice versa !?

Perhaps they took some other paperwork by mistake Laughing
Last edited by Markymark on 7 June 2019 10:57am
IS
Inspector Sands
There was that time that Globelink News was raided:
Markymark and elmarko gave kudos
NL
Ne1L C

There was a raid on TVS for something, I can't remember the details, but something in the back of my mind says they turned up at Maidstone, when what they were after was at Southampton, or vice versa !?

I didn't know that.
MA
Markymark

I didn't know that.

It was something connected to their regional investigative series, Facing South ?
RK
Rkolsen

I didn't know that.

It was something connected to their regional investigative series, Facing South ?

Not really on the level of the ABC raids but the US DOJ served a warrant for two months of phone records about a foiled terror plot.

https://www.ap.org/ap-in-the-news/2013/govt-obtains-wide-ap-phone-records-in-probe
BK
bkman1990
How very unfortunate. The media should be able to report on stories that have the potential to become major effects on their societies. I hope that whatever intentions that ABC had in reporting these stories out in the public eye. I do hope that they will come out the better for it. Because without it; the power of journalism will become lost among it's people. We as a global society need to understand that our democracies will become weaker if that power is lost.
MW
Mike W
How very unfortunate. The media should be able to report on stories that have the potential to become major effects on their societies. I hope that whatever intentions that ABC had in reporting these stories out in the public eye. I do hope that they will come out the better for it. Because without it; the power of journalism will become lost among it's people. We as a global society need to understand that our democracies will become weaker if that power is lost.

Reverse the coin, and I am biased working as I do, if a news organisation holds information that may secure prosecutions against people for crimes for the ‘freedom of the press’ should that right weigh against another’s right to life and fair trial? Not getting all human rightsy but I’ve seized TV cameras at incidents for the purposes of criminal evidence, should the same be said about documents etc
SP
Steve in Pudsey
But if it was information that the news organisation obtained on the promise of anonymity, does the desire to secure a prosecution outweigh the ethical duty of the journalist to protect their sources?

Newer posts