« Topics
Spencer (previously Spencer For Hire) 5,898 posts since 13 Jan 2003
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
The most baffling thing about the ITV GMG Hearts idents though is of all the variations that have cropped up over the years, the ones that actually were used were easily the worst.

I think it was a classic case of design by committee - far too many parties involved, all with their own opinions. What we ended up with was a compromise, with all of the most distinctive and interesting elements of the concept removed, making it entirely unobjectionable but also bland and pedestrian.

Sadly though it wasn’t bland and pedestrian enough for GMG North. The washing line ident had to be removed quickly - far too quirky and interesting. But then the rest of the live action sequences also had a grain of personality remaining, so also had to be axed.
Brekkie and Closedown gave kudos
ttt
Yes, never understood why Border lost it's chopsticks when they could easily have been stuck in a box like the other GMG logos were.

I’m guessing Border management saw it as dated and not worth keeping

Ironically it was probably less dated than the other three northern logos, especially Granada's. The 1998 TT one was a terrible evolution of the 1992 logo (which itself was pretty poor), and the chevron was starting to look nearly as old as Granada's disabled wheelchair and umbrella nonsense.
Spencer For Hire gave kudos
Brekkie31,981 posts since 4 Jan 2003
HTV Wales Wales Today
Of course, they weren't just GMG hearts as UNM regions used the same.

I remember when it was announced that Carlton nabbed HTV (after the other UNM regions went to Granada) I was on the NotBBC TV Forum and many feared for its identity because it was assumed it would become Carlton Wales & West. Little did we know HTV had the best end of the deal as not only was the name retained but we gained Carlton's stunning idents and slick presentation. Meanwhile, the Granada regions had clunky bland presentation for several years.

It was quite jarring though going from the stunning Carlton animations to the spinning blue hearts. It was a shame they didn't cut to something nicer - indeed that purple version I mentioned earlier would have fitted quite well.

Yes, never understood why Border lost it's chopsticks when they could easily have been stuck in a box like the other GMG logos were.

I’m guessing Border management saw it as dated and not worth keeping

Better than just the name in italics in a non-discript font.

Spencer For Hire posted:

I think it was a classic case of design by committee - far too many parties involved, all with their own opinions. What we ended up with was a compromise, with all of the most distinctive and interesting elements of the concept removed, making it entirely unobjectionable but also bland and pedestrian.

Sadly though it wasn’t bland and pedestrian enough for GMG North. The washing line ident had to be removed quickly - far too quirky and interesting. But then the rest of the live action sequences also had a grain of personality remaining, so also had to be axed.

Yes, worth remembering Granada was pretty safe when it came to their own idents.
I preferred the internet when it had a sense of humour.
Whataday10,110 posts since 13 Sep 2001
HTV Wales Wales Today
It was quite jarring though going from the stunning Carlton animations to the spinning blue hearts. It was a shame they didn't cut to something nicer - indeed that purple version I mentioned earlier would have fitted quite well.

I know a lot found it jarring but I never really hard a problem with it. I liked the way the blue box containing the logo would also animate during the transition.

I posted a mock a few years back trying out the HTV logo on a star background:

I do think the HTV logo looks better contained in the blue box.

What's good about the HTV variant is that the three note jingle sounds like it's meant to represent the letters H.T.V.
DJ Dave and Spencer For Hire gave kudos
Si-Co2,181 posts since 2 Oct 2003
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)

I know a lot found it jarring but I never really hard a problem with it. I liked the way the blue box containing the logo would also animate during the transition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3VgF4qGnn4

I posted a mock a few years back trying out the HTV logo on a star background:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht9T87cLy8A

I do think the HTV logo looks better contained in the blue box.

What's good about the HTV variant is that the three note jingle sounds like it's meant to represent the letters H.T.V.

This might be obvious, but did both HTV West and Wales use the same idents? I think I remember reading somewhere that West’s continuity came from Southampton for a while, but Wales’s stayed at Cardiff.
Cut out the coupon in your TV Times!
HTV Wales Wales Today
This might be obvious, but did both HTV West and Wales use the same idents? I think I remember reading somewhere that West’s continuity came from Southampton for a while, but Wales’s stayed at Cardiff.

When the Carltonised versions of the HTV idents were launched they featured a htvwest.com or htvwales.com caption depending on the region. It was the first time since 1992 that HTV had idents that distinguished each sub-region.

Then ITV.com was added so the idents looked the same but continuity remained separate. When the regions became ITV1, HTV Wales was more distinguished as ITV1 Wales and kept its own announcements until 2006.
Si-Co gave kudos
HTV Wales Wales Today
Also the very last HTV ident to be played out (on the same night LWT had their goodbye tributes), they removed any ITV branding and turned the hearts red. Sadly the announcement was very generic but it was typically understated HTV (and of course the HTV brand remained on the news).

ttt
More tastefully done than Bob Preedy claiming to speak for "all the TT/Granada/Border announcers since 1959/55/61" when in reality these stations' continuity had shut in previous years.
Closedown gave kudos