TV Home Forum

What's Occurin' This Christmas on BBC One

Onenessa (May 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
Whataday Founding member

James Corden was finding it increasingly difficult to host A League of their Own due to his work load in the US. CBS were not happy that he spent a lot of time back in the UK. The Late Late Show on CBS is on the air four days a week, for close to 150/160 episodes per year, so trying to fit in time for A League of their Own was becoming harder.

Well made up.

It is true. Doing a talk show in the US is very different to doing one in the UK.

It's not true. Once again you've made up a whole narrative without any proof whatsoever.

James has extra work commitments over the summer which means he cannot make some of the tapings of A League Of The Own, so a guest host will stand in.

There is nothing, absolutely NOTHING that suggests this is because of The Late Late Show or that CBS is "unhappy" with James having commitments in the UK. In fact the only thing we actually know about this is that James made it a condition of his CBS contract that he would be able to tape A League Of The Own.

It could well be that Gavin & Stacey is taking up his time over the summer. But notice how I'm suggesting that as speculation, rather than fact, because I don't know it to be true.
JK
JKDerry
Well made up.

It is true. Doing a talk show in the US is very different to doing one in the UK.

It's not true. Once again you've made up a whole narrative without any proof whatsoever.

James has extra work commitments over the summer which means he cannot make some of the tapings of A League Of The Own, so a guest host will stand in.

There is nothing, absolutely NOTHING that suggests this is because of The Late Late Show or that CBS is "unhappy" with James having commitments in the UK. In fact the only thing we actually know about this is that James made it a condition of his CBS contract that he would be able to tape A League Of The Own.

It could well be that Gavin & Stacey is taking up his time over the summer. But notice how I'm suggesting that as speculation, rather than fact, because I don't know it to be true.

James Corden will be in the UK on the week of June 17th to record The Late Late Show from London.

Also, please keep calm when someone comments. This is not the Spanish Inquisition. Why does everyone on here suddenly erupt into hell fire when a person gives their opinions and views. You may not like them, you may disagree, but from what I have gathered about US talk shows, including talks from James predecessor Craig Ferguson, CBS does keep a tight hold on the work its talk show hosts can do outside of their CBS contract.
CH
chinamug

James Corden will be in the UK on the week of June 17th to record The Late Late Show from London.

Also, please keep calm when someone comments. This is not the Spanish Inquisition. Why does everyone on here suddenly erupt into hell fire when a person gives their opinions and views. You may not like them, you may disagree, but from what I have gathered about US talk shows, including talks from James predecessor Craig Ferguson, CBS does keep a tight hold on the work its talk show hosts can do outside of their CBS contract.

Would it be possible for you to give a link to where it CBS actually appears to be upset with James Corden? They appear to be so upset they're close to signing a new multi year deal with him.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/james-corden-cbs-deal-carpool-karaoke-1203218698/

However, as always there may be more to the story and if you do have any links to share, it would be great to see them.
Last edited by chinamug on 31 May 2019 3:33pm - 2 times in total
BR
Brekkie

Why does everyone on here suddenly erupt into hell fire when a person gives their opinions and views. You may not like them, you may disagree, but from what I have gathered about US talk shows...

You presented your views, opinions and what you "gathered" as fact and thats why you were called out on it, especially as what has happened since he joined CBS completely contradicted your point.
Last edited by Brekkie on 31 May 2019 5:40pm
AA
Aaron_2015
Also, please keep calm when someone comments. This is not the Spanish Inquisition. Why does everyone on here suddenly erupt into hell fire when a person gives their opinions and views . You may not like them, you may disagree, but from what I have gathered about US talk shows, including talks from James predecessor Craig Ferguson, CBS does keep a tight hold on the work its talk show hosts can do outside of their CBS contract.

We’ve been here before, nobody has a problem with you sharing your opinions and views. However, you post things in such a way that they appear to be factual. If what you’re posting is something you’ve ‘gathered’, that does not make it a fact. That merely makes it speculation.
JO
Jonwo
CBS clearly are happy with him as he wouldn't be getting gigs like hosting the Tonys and The World's Best.
GL
Gluben
Finally a slight change at least to the Christmas Day line up with the announcement today Gavin and Stacey will return for a one-off Christmas special this year - just the sort of centre-piece comedy BBC One has been missing for the last few years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48430333

Sadly it does mean they'll be no space for that Warren Christmas Special this year, although I wouldn't mind a Christmas Time with Alan Partridge special somewhere in the week - indeed don't think that has mileage for a second series but a spoof of such shows embracing Christmas would be welcome.

You mean reviving yet another old sitcom far too late for a "one-off"? Yeah, definitely better... Rolling Eyes
WH
Whataday Founding member
I disagree. Gavin & Stacey is still immensely popular and has retained that goodwill largely through its Netflix listing. It is prime for a revival special.
NE
News96
And talking of revivals!

BR
Brekkie
Well that's Gavin and Stacey bumped out of the prime slot then! Wink
james-2001 and natwel27 gave kudos
WH
Whataday Founding member
Worzel Gummidge has potential for the Doctor Who slot but I suspect it will get what I call The Gruffalo slot (Christmas Day teatime), or possibly Boxing Day and New Years Day.
GL
Gluben
I disagree. Gavin & Stacey is still immensely popular and has retained that goodwill largely through its Netflix listing. It is prime for a revival special.

Why does everything need to be revived? Don't we have any original ideas left?

Newer posts