TV Home Forum

Radio Studio Design

You now can’t get away with a good face for radio. (May 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CO
commseng
Going around ITN at Wells Street many years ago, one of the things that stuck in my mind was the wall of carts in the sound end of the gallery. Not your typical material on them,
"Rapid Gunfire", "Explosion - distant" "Explosion - close" and so on were the order of the day. Not quite your 275 & 285 or 261 BRMB Radio carts!
itsrobert and Closedown gave kudos
JA
Jamesypoo
Going back to the studio design talk & LBC, as gaudy as it may be at least the shot framing appears to have actually been considered when you compare it to say 5 Live.

MI
m_in_m
The 5Live shot doesn't look like a full radio studio but more like a contribution studio so I guess space is minimal.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Yes that will be a contribution into a programme being produced in Salford. I think that one is at BH but there are also facilities at Millbank. The camera is mainly there for the presenter and guest to have a bit of eye contact and any hand signals that may be required, looking good for TV/Visualisation is a secondary consideration, although I'm surprised Theresa May isn't wearing headphones.

There are some much nicer studios available at BH for full programmes with full visualisation kit available.
JA
Jamesypoo
The interviewer was in the same studio

11 days later

BR
Brekkie
World at One clip just used on ITV News with a Boris interview. Initially looks like a sports style backdrop with rows of the World at One logo and Radio 4 logo but then you notice individual logos quite subtly animating. Simple but effective.
BB
BBI45
World at One clip just used on ITV News with a Boris interview. Initially looks like a sports style backdrop with rows of the World at One logo and Radio 4 logo but then you notice individual logos quite subtly animating. Simple but effective.

KE
kernow
I realise this isn't strictly related to radio studio design, but thought it was worth posting.

Wave 105 celebrate their 21st birthday today, and have posted their launch from 1998 online:

JA
james-2001

She looks like Igor or Quasimodo in that picture.
GE
thegeek Founding member
John Pienaar's report on the Ten showed a wider view of the studio - it's one of the Millbank radio studios with a TV at the back of it. Note the handy screwdriver on the desk.
JO
Joe
It does look a little bit like it's just Johnson on the TV.
VM
VMPhil
Are those analogue VU meters I see?

Newer posts