TV Home Forum

BBC Scotland - the launch

Split from BBC Scotland channel - service to also launch in HD (February 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
Didn't it become "The World" and was recoloured green at some point?
VM
VMPhil
Didn't it become "The World" and was recoloured green at some point?

I think BBC Four News/The World used split graphics so it had a different name on BBC Four and BBC World. This was later dropped and they used 'The World' branding here too, but as you say also recoloured the titles to green.
NG
noggin Founding member
ISTR that the opening titles (or opening sequence?) were split on BBC Four and BBC World (don't think it had rebranded to be World News by then?) with one of the presentation areas playing in the 'other' one, and joining the programme on a post-titles wide shot?

I may be misremembering.
VM
VMPhil
ISTR that the opening titles (or opening sequence?) were split on BBC Four and BBC World (don't think it had rebranded to be World News by then?) with one of the presentation areas playing in the 'other' one, and joining the programme on a post-titles wide shot?

I may be misremembering.

I'm pretty sure you're correct. This was certainly several years before the BBC World News rebrand.

The change to the green set and dropping the 'BBC Four News' name happened at the start of 2004, and the change to 'World News Today' happened in 2007.
BR
Brekkie
Interesting - didn't know that. Presumably that went as far as having George record different intros for "BBC Four News" and "The World" as well then.
IS
Isonstine Founding member
That video is from launch night which was on a Saturday and the programme aired on BBC Four only (hence why George welcomes viewers to BBC Four News). In the regular schedule, it was Monday to Friday only and I believe the only difference was the opening sting where the visuals on BBC Four showed "BBC Four News" while over on World it was just "BBC World". I"m sure I remember hearing at the time that the visuals (and not audio) were played in separately for BBC Four which covered the World branding. That's why the end of the opening titles themselves only had a BBC logo as by that point the branding served both channels.
Last edited by Isonstine on 12 May 2019 3:52pm
VM
VMPhil
Ah, so it just went out as a standard BBC World branded bulletin then, but with a different set/graphics? I wonder if that confused anyone.

8 days later

VM
VMPhil
A positive review of BBC Scotland: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/19/derided-even-before-its-launch-bbc-scotland-has-silenced-the-critics-with-its-brilliance

13 days later

AS
Asa Admin
Somewhere, possibly here or on Twitter, someone mentioned a slightly special closedown the other week after the end of the "Rewind 90s" series. Here it is with an amusing end...

CA
Caly123
Asa posted:
Somewhere, possibly here or on Twitter, someone mentioned a slightly special closedown the other week after the end of the "Rewind 90s" series. Here it is with an amusing end...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWLS9QaCK7A

That "Were you expecting the National Anthem?" bit did make me chuckle Laughing Laughing
JW
JamesWorldNews
“We’ve CAME to the end of our viewing.....”.

Eh?
LS
Lou Scannon
“We’ve CAME to the end of our viewing.....”.

Eh?

Am him grammar letting he down?

Newer posts