TV Home Forum

Classic Emmerdale

(January 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BS
Ben Shatliff
Si-Co posted:
Sadly very soon we will see the late Arthur Pentelow’s final appearance as Henry Wilkes. He died August 6th 1991.

Did he die before his character, hence the character being written out? Or did the actor leave the show shortly before his own death?

He died before his character. His character was killed off in October 1991.

Next Friday’s episode feature the news and aftermath of the on screen death of Henry Wilks. They are not suddenly missing episodes out are they? Arthur Pentelow died on August 6th 1991. He appeared I The first Of yesterday episodes. It was October 1991 when the episodes aired with news of his character’s death.
JA
james-2001
His last appearance was at the end of August, the episode where his death is dealt with was at the start of October, we get 5 weeks worth of episodes a week, so it fits into that timeframe without losing any episodes.
BS
Ben Shatliff
His last appearance was at the end of August, the episode where his death is dealt with was at the start of October, we get 5 weeks worth of episodes a week, so it fits into that timeframe without losing any episodes.

Thanks James. Am I right in thinking we have sadly seen his last appearance?
JA
james-2001
I think so, rather sudden sadly thanks to his sudden unexpected death.

Another reason I wish ITV3 had started at some point in the Emmerdale Farm era, we'd have seen more of these characters.
Ben Shatliff and Si-Co gave kudos
BS
Ben Shatliff
I think so, rather sudden sadly thanks to his sudden unexpected death.

Another reason I wish ITV3 had started at some point in the Emmerdale Farm era, we'd have seen more of these characters.

Thanks James and yes you are spot on. It would have been good to have started earlier. At least we were able to see some classic moments with Amos and Mr. Wills. The Welcome Ghost episode had me in stitches 😂
JA
james-2001
Admittedly I'm quite a distance behind on all three classic soaps thanks to time spent away from home recently, so I'm still some distance away from Wilks' final episode.
SC
Si-Co
Admittedly I'm quite a distance behind on all three classic soaps thanks to time spent away from home recently, so I'm still some distance away from Wilks' final episode.

I’m enjoying the repeats of Emmerdale and EastEnders, but I just don’t have time to keep up to date with them. Although I watch very little contemporary TV, I do follow EastEnders and Neighbours - and it’s difficult enough fitting those into my schedule, let alone another ten hours of repeats! I’m still watching episodes of Emmerdale from February this year (Feb 90 eps) and EE from January (March 87 eps). I personally wouldn’t object to the soaps being repeated at half the pace they currently are - they would still race through most of the 90s at 5 episodes a week.
BR
Brekkie
That's the thing with any nostalgic repeats - people like the idea of them but either the novelty wares off or you just don't have the time.
KE
kernow
Something which doesn't really help is the fact that the Emmerdale repeats on ITV3 overlap in the schedule with the EastEnders repeats on Drama.

I don't know if this overlap was deliberate on ITV's part, to try and steal viewers away from Drama, although I expect Drama would have moved EastEnders back to its original 12pm slot by now if there had been a noticeable impact on ratings.

If the overlap wasn't there, it would probably benefit the ratings of both shows from viewers who want to watch both, but end up just watching one of them (and can't be bothered with the hassle of having to record one of them).
JA
james-2001
I have a feeling ITV3 scheduled it where it was still thinking EastEnders would be on at 12, the move to 1PM was only a couple of weeks before the Emmerdale repeats started. Clearly the clash isn't affecting either ITV3 or Drama to the extent one of them feels the need to move them anyway,
BR
Brekkie
I'd have thought people watching regularly would series link anyway.
JA
james-2001
I'd have thought people watching regularly would series link anyway.

That's what I do. Funnily enough it does mean on the days I'm watching live, I see the adverts during EastEnders on Drama, but not on the Corrie & Emmerdale repeats due to the clash and having to watch them on recordings.

Newer posts