TV Home Forum

Eurovision 2021 - Netherlands - NPO/AVROTROS/NOS

Ahoy Arena - Rotterdam - 18/20/22 May 2021 (May 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BM
BM11
I can only see it being somewhere within an hour or so train ride of Schipol airport. So Leeuwarden,, Enschede and Maastricht will fail on that ground.

Also Andorra refuse to return but in Luxembourg a petition has been launched to try and persuade RTL to return - I am sure if they entered with a good song they would qualify - they were the original San Marino in hiring random people with no prior connection to the country to sing for them.
MI
mici0123
I'd bet my money on the Ziggo Dome in Amsterdam. It's the biggest venue I can think of where they don't have to temporarily relocate a current tennant.
BM
BM11
I'd bet my money on the Ziggo Dome in Amsterdam. It's the biggest venue I can think of where they don't have to temporarily relocate a current tennant.

I get the impression the desire to spread tourism throughout the Netherlands will rule out Amsterdam.
MA
Markymark
BM11 posted:

I get the impression the desire to spread tourism throughout the Netherlands will rule out Amsterdam.

Although, Amsterdam is the city that would easily and effortlessly embrace the culture of Eurovision
SH
Sh1ruba
Rotterdam is my favourite
Amsterdam is already dealing with huge amounts of tourists and I dunno if they can deal with any more coming in during Eurovision season
Plus Rotterdam is 80% ready with their bid
NG
noggin Founding member
BM11 posted:

Although, Amsterdam is the city that would easily and effortlessly embrace the culture of Eurovision

To be fair, I think a lot of Dutch cities would be able to do that though.
JO
Jon

Amsterdam is already dealing with huge amounts of tourists and I dunno if they can deal with any more coming in during Eurovision season

I don’t understand this argument at all. It’s a major international city, and they obviously host big events all the time that would bring in extra tourists, matches in Euro 2020 for example potentially bringing in far more people next year.

What I would say though is with something like Eurovision smaller major cities are often more keen to host as it can mean a lot more to them than it does to a capital.

I would say Rotterdam is a good shout though and would provide a good backdrop to the contest.
BM
BM11
https://escxtra.com/2019/06/01/mayor-halsema-of-amsterdam-we-wont-stand-in-the-way-of-other-cities
Amsterdam will probably end up not bidding.

Rotterdam are very determined to host it through and seem the most capable and suitable (in terms of accommodation, experience and transport.).
Last edited by BM11 on 1 June 2019 11:49pm - 3 times in total
WW
WW Update
Jon posted:

I don’t understand this argument at all. It’s a major international city, and they obviously host big events all the time that would bring in extra tourists, matches in Euro 2020 for example potentially bringing in far more people next year.

I was in Amsterdam last year and I can understand why the city, which is already overflowing with tourists and in danger of losing its soul, would not want to attract even more people if other Dutch cities can carry the load instead. It's not just the event itself that is problematic, but also the added tourist flow from the publicity the chosen town will end up receiving. Don't get me wrong, Amsterdam is beautiful, but I was relieved once I made it back to my hotel in far less touristy (and more authentic) Haarlem.
RH
RtH Founding member
The point is, the city council of Amsterdam wants to discourage tourists to visit Amsterdam. Quite a lot measures are being taken to achieve this; e.g. stricter rules for homeowners advertising on Airbnb, the ban on coaches in the city centre, less tourist shops and so on. Even Holland Marketing has advised to host the contest outside Amsterdam.

Ironically, Amsterdam is one of the cities currently working on a so-called bid book to host the contest Confused
BM
BM11
RtH posted:
The point is, the city council of Amsterdam wants to discourage tourists to visit Amsterdam. Quite a lot measures are being taken to achieve this; e.g. stricter rules for homeowners advertising on Airbnb, the ban on coaches in the city centre, less tourist shops and so on. Even Holland Marketing has advised to host the contest outside Amsterdam.

Ironically, Amsterdam is one of the cities currently working on a so-called bid book to host the contest Confused

Only reluctantly.
Apprantley Mastricht is the favorite - through it is quite isolated within the Netherlands (lots of people would stay in Beligum and Germany) and is possibly too known for political reasons only.
TI
tightrope78
BM11 posted:
RtH posted:

Only reluctantly.
Apprantley Mastricht is the favorite - through it is quite isolated within the Netherlands (lots of people would stay in Beligum and Germany) and is possibly too known for political reasons only.

Everything you say is a load of guff! Conjecture, opinion etc presented as fact.

The bidding process doesn’t open for a while. Sit and and wait on it instead of making up a load of rubbish just to try and sound knowledgeable.
Joe, Brekkie and UKnews gave kudos

Newer posts