TV Home Forum

The Late Late Gay Byrne Irish Television Thread

Irish TV legend passes away (October 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JK
JKDerry
I assume Winning Streak will be ending this weekend, as it is the last Saturday in May and nearly all home produced big shows on RTE runs from September until May.
BK
bkman1990
I assume Winning Streak will be ending this weekend, as it is the last Saturday in May and nearly all home produced big shows on RTE runs from September until May.

Yes. Winning Streak is having it's final show before the summer break tonight.

The Late Late Show will be having it's final show before the summer next Friday night.
TV
TVVT
rdd posted:
Alas when Virgin Media took over UTV Ireland they dropped ITV2 from their line up on the basis most of its prime time programmes could be seen on what was then still 3e. They are still the only large Irish pay TV company to carry any ITV channels, as ITV3&4 are still part of their line up.
Gotta agree, although 3e dropped the Seth McFarlane shows at the VM2 rename
JK
JKDerry

Yes. Winning Streak is having it's final show before the summer break tonight.

The Late Late Show will be having it's final show before the summer next Friday night.

I wonder if there are any summer fillers planned? I have heard Saturday Night with Miriam will be back in summer 2019, Miriam has said she only took a break in 2018 because of the referendums and Pope's visit. So she will most likely be back when Tommy Tiernan ends his Saturday night run.

Ray D'arcy is also be back in the autumn - poor Irish viewers, having to contend with that ass.
BK
bkman1990
Winning Streak just had it's last episode before the summer. It gave away, for this season, a total of €5,368,000.
JK
JKDerry
Winning Streak just had it's last episode before the summer. It gave away, for this season, a total of €5,368,000.

There will no summer version? I seem to remember RTE used to produce a summer version until recently.
RD
rdd Founding member
There was a summer replacement show for many years alright, Fame and Fortune being probably the most well known/established version. At one point Winning Streak was itself moved to the summer, but it didn’t catch and I don’t think they’ve done anything since?
BR
Brekkie
Presumably the Irish Lotto completely fund Winning Streak.
HC
Hatton Cross
Yes they do. Whether it's just show prize winnings, or both production budget and prize fund not sure.

The Irish lottery 'lucky star' logo is all over the show on screen, although they don't have a pre-titles or pre/post ad break sponsorship bumpers with the lotto logo.
JK
JKDerry
Yes they do. Whether it's just show prize winnings, or both production budget and prize fund not sure.

The Irish lottery 'lucky star' logo is all over the show on screen, although they don't have a pre-titles or pre/post ad break sponsorship bumpers with the lotto logo.

I think RTE funds the production of Winning Streak with a little bit of help from the Irish Lottery, all prize money is provided by the Lottery and not RTE.

To enter you have to match three stars on a Winning Streak scratchcard, and if you do, you write your name and address on the back of the card, and put it into a special envelope available at lottery outlets and post offices, and post it to the lottery HQ.

Each week 5 names are drawn by the hosts from a random drum of 100 cards sent in, they appear on the following week's show. Must be a bit of a rushed week for the contestants, especially after getting over the shock of knowing they will appear the following week on national television, and organising 20 or so of their family and friends to come to RTE Studio 1 for the recording.

11 days later

BK
bkman1990
I just heard that VMT released massive figures for the UFEA CL Final & the new series of Love Island.

Over 1,000,000 viewers tuned in for the UFEA CL Final between Tottenham & Liverpool. It had hit 44,000 live viewers on VM Player.

Love Island hit 435,000 viewers for it's new series. It also 148,000 streams on VM Player to date.

JK
JKDerry
Ratings for Love Island on Virgin Media Two are down to the fact that ITV2 is not widely available on Irish television platforms. Only satellite can you tune in ITV2 to watch it, or use the British Freesat box service. So Virgin Media have a great pull for viewers, as Saorview, Virgin Media, Sky Ireland, Eir TV and Vodafone TV all have the Virgin Media Irish channels.

Newer posts