« Topics
bilky asko5,425 posts since 9 Sep 2006
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
Authorities in the UK would almost certainly not enforce any action on UK citizens or media organisations simply reporting exit polls elsewhere. It’s all a bit of a strange anomaly. A little like UK viewers being banned from text voting in Eurovision! My guess is that the election watchdog felt it made sense to play it safe and apply the same rule to all elections here in the UK. There is - to some extent - an argument for applying the rule across the EU. A number of exit polls are suggesting a green wave and a rise in pro EU votes, which could motivate similarly minded voters in countries yet to vote to get out and follow the trend.

That reminds me of when Rob_Schneider was incensed that the UK didn't have SMS voting back in 2016 - calling for European harmonisation to the detriment of the UK, ironically...
sjhoward525 posts since 21 Sep 2003
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
Think it goes beyond the BBC as I've not seen exit polls mentioned elsewhere in traditional UK media or indeed on UK based social media.

Yes, it is beyond the BBC - it's in Ofcom rules. I was pretty certain it was based on UK law, but I can't find it anywhere in the most relevant Acts, so perhaps I'm wrong.

It's interesting to see what newspaper websites are doing: many reporting no polls; the Express and Daily Mail reporting freely; the Independent initially reporting with a lot of detail, and then taking down all of those stories (was there an 'intervention'?)

The BBC is somewhere in the middle, reporting which parties are "celebrating" after the publication of exit polls, but with the caveat that they are barred from publishing the poll results themselves.

This all feels like an antiquated curiosity when we all have such routine access to foreign media. It's fascinating in its own small way!
sjhoward.co.uk
Brekkie gave kudos
UKnews798 posts since 26 Apr 2011
I don’t think it’s been mentioned but there are two BBC News programmes covering the results tonight.

BBC 1 / News Channel special presented by Huw Edwards from Studio B in NBH.

BBC World News special presented by Ros Atkins from the European Parliament in Brussels. I believe there will be some news inserts from NBH.

The radio coverage is one programme co-presented by Chris Mason in NBH and Adam Fleming in Brussels (right next to Ros at the European Parliament). Different networks will take it at different times- 5 Live (10pm - 3am), Radio 4 (11pm - 3am), World Service (Midnight - 1am). As it’s on 5 Live it’ll go out on BBC local radio stations once they close down for the night.

Most of the live reports and guests for the ‘domestic’ special will come from a position inside the European Parliament chamber (the Hemicycle). That may also get used for the BBC World News programme and the radio special as well.
Brekkie gave kudos
Brekkie31,226 posts since 4 Jan 2003 Banned for 1 week
HTV Wales Wales Today
Considering the way the EU operates, would it not be easier for officials to force all EU countries to vote on the same day? I mean, it's not impossible is it?

Despite what some people say that isn't the way the EU operates.

I'm all for this blackout - makes the news a much easier watch. 😁
I preferred the internet when it had a sense of humour.
chinamug and Ne1L C gave kudos
UKnews798 posts since 26 Apr 2011
Considering the way the EU operates, would it not be easier for officials to force all EU countries to vote on the same day? I mean, it's not impossible is it?

And to cover - more time to rig and test. One special until 4am local is quite enough thank you!
harshy6,062 posts since 24 Mar 2001

And to cover - more time to rig and test. One special until 4am local is quite enough thank you!

Will bbc news finally turn Reith?