TV Home Forum

The FA Cup to be shared by the BBC and ITV

Split from The Sport Thread (May 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
Scaling back wouldn't be a bad thing - having 6 or 7 games per round was a bit barrel scraping at times. Indeed 4 in Round 1 & 2 probably is too.

No mention of replays either, but from the number of matches as part of the deal 5th picks and replays must be included.
JO
Jon
I think anything that gives more sport on free to air TV is a good thing. You’ll only watch them if you’re interested in watching them.

And gives teams exposure that wouldn’t normally get it.

I imagine ITV will be utilising ITV 4 quite a bit especially for those 5th and 6th picks.
GE
thegeek Founding member
Jon posted:
You’d think they’d be able to buy BT out of their current contract to get it a season or two earlier.

That would rely on BT Sport being interested in such an arrangement - I suspect they want the viewers more than selling the rights on.
BR
Brekkie
And BT are losing Scottish football and some first picks in the Premier League, so unless they desperately need the finances (they've just splashed out on a new logo afterall) they need to hold on to the FA Cup for the rest of the deal (which is one season anyway).
RO
robertclark125
Could it have been the FA who decided they didn't want any pay TV deals, only FTA deals?
JO
Jon
And BT are losing Scottish football and some first picks in the Premier League, so unless they desperately need the finances (they've just splashed out on a new logo afterall) they need to hold on to the FA Cup for the rest of the deal (which is one season anyway).

Two seasons.
JO
Jon
Jon posted:
You’d think they’d be able to buy BT out of their current contract to get it a season or two earlier.

That would rely on BT Sport being interested in such an arrangement - I suspect they want the viewers more than selling the rights on.

Yes, it really depends what the reasons BT didn’t win the rights post 2021 is, if it’s because the FA wanted a free to air partner then you’re probably right, if it’s that BT don’t value the rights at as much as ITV do, I could well have seen them doing a deal.
HC
Hatton Cross
'The Only Place To Watch Manchester United Live And Exclusive In Every Round Of The FA Cup - ITV'

Of course, any increase in FTA football can only be a good thing, however, this comes with the bad news that it means more Clive Tyldesley and his pathetic mentions of Manchester United, no matter which team is playing.

One wonders though if this is ITV's insurance policy incase World Rugby carry out the threat to carve up the Six Nations and return the competition back to a FTA/Pay TV split, and the FTA part stays with the BBC.
BR
Brekkie
One wonders though if this is ITV's insurance policy incase World Rugby carry out the threat to carve up the Six Nations and return the competition back to a FTA/Pay TV split, and the FTA part stays with the BBC.

Despite what they're trying World Rugby don't get the final say on that and the Six Nations are very much opposed to it.

To be fair if anything rugby is moving towards more free to air coverage at the moment - think it's the only sport to have had live matches on all the terrestrial station over the last year.
BK
bkman1990
That's great news being confirmed by ITV. Well done on them getting back the rights to this competition.

Newer posts