« Topics
WW Update4,644 posts since 6 Feb 2007
KIRO in Seattle also experimented with an "alternative" news format in the 1990s. The picture quality of this clip is terrible, but the format was short-lived, so videos of it are rare:

What is that desk all about on France 2? Take a look at the end of the headlines

You mean the moving desk? RSI in Italian-speaking Switzerland has something similar:

Something that is so French and found nowhere else: cutting to a wide studio shot for a half second with the anchor still looking at the other camera while coming in and out of sound or a PKG.

Here's an example from Senegal, naturally a French-speaking country:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiJukgj9NAs&t=646
What's so unusual about a news ticker and an on-air clock? Just the fact that they were both around 67 years ago, in 1952 (they appear at the 2:15 mark). Also, the entire look and feel of the original Today Show was way ahead of its time in many respects:

Last edited by WW Update on 21 May 2019 8:02pm
elmarko, Markymark and Inspector Sands gave kudos
I often wonder who was actually watching it back in 1952. But yes, incredibly forward thinking.

The short answer is "very few people":

Quote:
NBC vice-president Sylvester "Pat" Weaver had high hopes for the production, but only 31 affiliates and one lonely sponsor signed up initially. The whole notion of people viewing television (what little there was) in the daytime was a major hurdle for the show to overcome - watching TV during daylight hours was considered decadent behavior in 1952.

Quote:
The show's pace was slow and steady - often the program would broadcast 4 or 5 minutes of nothing but the crowd outside while music played. But then, life generally moved a bit slower in the fifties. Keep in mind, only one in ten households had a TV set in 1952; it was a genuine technical marvel that folks around the country could be looking live at people standing on a street corner in New York.

Quote:
After the first year, ratings and ad sales were so dismal the staff was certain that cancellation was inevitable. Critics served it up cold. TV writer Jack Gould pronounced, "In the jargon of show business, it needs a lot of work."

Things began to change when a chimp named J. Fred Muggs was brought in to attract children and also proved popular among adults:

Quote:
By 1957, the show was a solid moneymaker for NBC and J. Fred Muggs was a genuine TV superstar. He was even a panelist on NBC game shows of the time!

Source: http://www.tvparty.com/50stoday.html
VMPhil gave kudos
Brekkie31,225 posts since 4 Jan 2003 Banned for 1 week
HTV Wales Wales Today
Reminds me of TV-am becoming more popular after they introduced Roland Rat. So, if you have a failing breakfast show, I guess the answer is to introduce an animal, whether real or puppet!

[insert Piers Morgan joke here]
I preferred the internet when it had a sense of humour.
Hatton Cross, BBI45 and WW Update gave kudos
Reminds me of TV-am becoming more popular after they introduced Roland Rat. So, if you have a failing breakfast show, I guess the answer is to introduce an animal, whether real or puppet!

Interestingly, the Today Show evolved into a fairly straightforward, hard news-oriented program by the early 1970s:

EDIT: And here's an edition from the J. Fred Muggs era:

Last edited by WW Update on 22 May 2019 9:15pm