The Newsroom

Twenty Years of the Thunderclaps

BBC News - Lambie Nairn and David Lowe era - 20 Years On (May 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RN
Rolling News
Perhaps the thing I miss just as much as the old 93-99 era was the era when reporters giving live interviews back to the studio presenter did not refer to each other by their first names and they did not thank them for giving them an update. Very American - and I love America and Americans but I am British, goddamn it! Very Happy

I actually think the over-thanking of colleagues on air has been a very BBC thing for many years rather than something new or American, but it does drive me mad.

I know many will totally disagree, and consider it polite and friendly, but so often it's unnecessary, and deadens a programme's pace. Breakfast is especially guilty of this with their banal, creaking, awkward links out of weather and sport, etc.. Just get on with it!

And don't get me started on regional presenters thanking the network host for throwing to them. They can't hear you, you know they can't hear you, we know they can't hear you, and we know you know they can't hear you! (Yes I'm looking at you, Look North Yorkshire).

Totally agree with you, especially about BBC Breakfast. What really annoys me is how Louise Minchin in particular shoehorns "morning!" into any kind of interview or transition. E.g. "we're joined now by our correspondent X. X, what's the plan now? Morning!" It's awkward and completely destroys the flow. And don't get me started on Naga!

I agree entirely. It just looks so forced and cringeworthy. I simply cannot watch when Naga is on, her voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard. Poor Charlie Stayt (who I like) always looks like he wants to be somewhere else! Also can't stand the way where right at the start (after the shot of Salford) Dan, Louise, and the sports and business presenters are all sat there pretending to be jolly with each other.

Piers and Susanna are much better.
MI
m_in_m

I actually think the over-thanking of colleagues on air has been a very BBC thing for many years rather than something new or American, but it does drive me mad.

I know many will totally disagree, and consider it polite and friendly, but so often it's unnecessary, and deadens a programme's pace. Breakfast is especially guilty of this with their banal, creaking, awkward links out of weather and sport, etc.. Just get on with it!

And don't get me started on regional presenters thanking the network host for throwing to them. They can't hear you, you know they can't hear you, we know they can't hear you, and we know you know they can't hear you! (Yes I'm looking at you, Look North Yorkshire).

Totally agree with you, especially about BBC Breakfast. What really annoys me is how Louise Minchin in particular shoehorns "morning!" into any kind of interview or transition. E.g. "we're joined now by our correspondent X. X, what's the plan now? Morning!" It's awkward and completely destroys the flow. And don't get me started on Naga!

pretending to be jolly with each other.

Is it not at all possible that they do all get along?
RD
rdd Founding member
https://youtu.be/PHW3EzOsE6c

Just cause it was asked for a few pages ago, that strange brief revival of the old Breakfast News theme by BBC Scotland in 2014. (From 0:24).
IT
itsrobert Founding member
rdd posted:

Just cause it was asked for a few pages ago, that strange brief revival of the old Breakfast News theme by BBC Scotland in 2014. (From 0:24).

Many thanks for posting this, I somehow managed to miss it at the time. Quite extraordinary to hear the Breakfast News theme again being used in recent times. I wonder what on earth made them choose it? I guess they must have had an old CD of it lying around somewhere.
DK
DanielK
rdd posted:

Many thanks for posting this, I somehow managed to miss it at the time. Quite extraordinary to hear the Breakfast News theme again being used in recent times. I wonder what on earth made them choose it? I guess they must have had an old CD of it lying around somewhere.

Probably 10x easier & cheaper than asking David Lowe to do a hybrid of Reporting Scotland, BBC News Elections & BBC Breakfast. Shorter lead time too I guess...
RI
Richard
rdd posted:

Passed me by too. They seem to have edited together the “into the regional news” sting and the “end of programme” one. And it seems to be the 1989 version (or maybe 1986 version - not sure if there was a difference). All the Breakfast Time/Breakfast News themes had unusual time signatures. They really stand out.
BU
buster
The end of programme theme really doesn't work for me there - it definitely has a tone of "we're all done now" about it!
And for me if I heard it, it generally meant I was off school for the holidays waiting for But First This to start...

How did the extended Reporting Scotland bulletins works - was there an agreed opt-back point at some point in the main programme?
MS
msim

Passed me by too. They seem to have edited together the “into the regional news” sting and the “end of programme” one. And it seems to be the 1989 version (or maybe 1986 version - not sure if there was a difference). All the Breakfast Time/Breakfast News themes had unusual time signatures. They really stand out.

Its the 1993 theme isn't it?
Richard and itsrobert gave kudos
RI
Richard
msim posted:

Its the 1993 theme isn't it?

Of course, you’re right. It does seem to be the regional news/end of programme edit I mentioned unless that was an unused cut.

The titles to be look a bit odd. They could be described as “a new dawn” which might be seen as unimpartial.

I remember that BBC NI and BBC Scotland used to use old “Westminster” titles when covering NI or Scottish questions at Westminster. BBC NI used the distinctive “Westminster Live” titles well into the period where the “Order Order” ( for “Westminster with Nick Ross”) took over.
EY
the eye

All your links are invalid
TO
theTOTHlad2002

All your links are invalid

Ah sorry, here it is again.
https://mega.nz/#F!LWpQFIbB!q4KYkARmpQqbyKsUoN-H0Q

Newer posts