TV Home Forum

Eurovision 2019

Israel - KAN - Tel Aviv - SFs 14, 16 May - Final 18 May - UK - Michael Rice. (May 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
madmusician
The selection shows are not the problem. They should perhaps be higher profile but the audience can only pick from a handful of typically beige songs that are put before them. It's what is going on behind the scenes prior to that point that is the problem.

Why are we unable to get creative song writers / composers with original ideas to come forward. Then why don't we seem to get the right creatives on board to do something with the staging & presentation. Our productions are never ambitious or stand out.

Is it that we are not getting those sort of entries, or are they being weeded out by the panel of 'experts' for some reasons. Is it funding? Are we too cautious in our approach? There needs to be some ambition restored in this process.

It's now a greater risk to put out something middle of the road than go all out with something totally different.

To be fair, the one year that we did put out something quirky was 2015 with Electro Velvet. I know it was widely panned, but I liked the fact that it was quirky but not in an overtly cheesy way, and that it had a staging gimmick ( the neon). But I think I was in a minority with that view.

We were back to beige the following year, though.
GM
Gary McEwan
Now that Måns lives in the UK, we could end up send him and still end up finishing at the bottom...

Rolling Eyes

I said that in jest...the BBC do need a good kick up the backside and a proper review of how the select for the contest.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member

To be fair, the one year that we did put out something quirky was 2015 with Electro Velvet. I know it was widely panned, but I liked the fact that it was quirky but not in an overtly cheesy way, and that it had a staging gimmick ( the neon). But I think I was in a minority with that view.

I don't think ambitious or risk taking has to equal quirky or novelty. Which I feel Electro Velvet was really.
MA
madmusician

I don't think ambitious or risk taking has to equal quirky or novelty. Which I feel Electro Velvet was really.

That's a fair point. To be honest, that was the one year that I felt our staging went beyond 'singer stands and sings'. But I really want something with energy and creativity. Anything less will be a disappointment.
WH
Whataday Founding member
If we only screened the contest and didn't take part, would that significantly reduce the contribution we make?
BR
Brekkie
So Norway, who won the televote on the final, wouldn't have even been in the final if it had been down to the juries alone.

http://esctoday.com/175805/eurovision-2019-the-full-and-split-results-of-the-second-semi-final/
CH
chinamug
There is a sense of resignation from the BBC every year Eurovision comes around. They have accepted defeat. Graham once said that if the UK make it to be on the left hand side of the score board at the end of the night, it would count as a good thing.

The BBC have just resigned themselves to the UK will never win, but more so that the UK will do terrible each year. It has also got to the point that Ireland do not bother to vote for the UK, the days when your closest next door neighbour always votes for you are now gone in terms of the UK and Ireland.

Ireland did vote for the UK, If the irish public hadn't given the UK 3 points, the UK would have scored 0 in the public vote.

To be fair it was a terrible UK entry, but the Irish one was even worse, Ireland came last overall. It also got 3 points from UK public vote in it's semi final.

In both cases these were pity votes or good neighbours acknowledging the other.

The point here is that do we expect either the UK or Irish public to vote for rubbish acts? Or (as they seem to do in general) to vote for the best entry no matter where they come from. Is that not closer to the spirit of the competition?
IS
Inspector Sands
If we only screened the contest and didn't take part, would that significantly reduce the contribution we make?

Well the BBC wouldn't pay whatever it costs to enter the contest but it wouldn't affect their contribution to the EBU... which is the thing that gets them the automatic entry into the final
UKnews, chinamug and WW Update gave kudos
FA
fanoftv

A much better remix of the UK entry, makes you wonder why they didn't work with the production team to improve it. The idea of that video with the children discovering about space, etc. would have been a brilliant idea for staging in hindsight.
JB
JasonB

Well the BBC wouldn't pay whatever it costs to enter the contest but it wouldn't affect their contribution to the EBU... which is the thing that gets them the automatic entry into the final

If we didn’t get automatic entry in the final, how far would we make it in the beginning stages of the contest? Would we be out already?
JO
Jon
We would be out by now, yes. Wink

You make it sound like qualifying for the World Cup. There is two semi-finals and that’s it and if we sent the same acts we wouldn’t have got out the semi-finals for years.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Duncan Lawrence's press conference was great.

Newer posts