TV Home Forum

Eurovision 2019

Israel - KAN - Tel Aviv - SFs 14, 16 May - Final 18 May - UK - Michael Rice. (May 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AG
AxG
Hand the contest over to Channel 4 who might actually do something daring.

Hell, That’s TV would probably do better.

I'm more intrigued in how they'll host it, how more budget can they get than a cowshed in Millstreet
GO
gottago
I’m glad more people seem to be waking up to the fact it’s not the “Europe hates us” thing that stops up doing well - it’s the creative vacuum at the heart of our selection process and the fact that pretty much every other country has upped their game significantly.

You watch pretty much all of the entries and long for the UK to be as bold. The BBC are simply the wrong people to be running this for us.

Again, I really do think putting Eurovision out to tender for an indie to take over production would potentially be a very effective step in the right direction.
JK
JKDerry
There is a sense of resignation from the BBC every year Eurovision comes around. They have accepted defeat. Graham once said that if the UK make it to be on the left hand side of the score board at the end of the night, it would count as a good thing.

The BBC have just resigned themselves to the UK will never win, but more so that the UK will do terrible each year. It has also got to the point that Ireland do not bother to vote for the UK, the days when your closest next door neighbour always votes for you are now gone in terms of the UK and Ireland.

The BBC need to get a kick in the ass, and try to boost their Eurovision selection process. However as one person said last night on Twitter, even if they had Harry Styles representing the UK in 2020, Harry might scrape 22nd.
:-(
A former member
However as one person said last night on Twitter, even if they had Harry Styles representing the UK in 2020, Harry might scrape 22nd.

I never understand this argument. How do we know? Why do people assume that our record of unknown singers half-arsedly singing beige songs means literally nobody we entered would win?
GM
Gary McEwan
I noticed this week that GMB were heavily covering it and even sending out Richard Arnold to Tel Aviv.

Out of curiosity, what could ITV do differently that BBC couldn't selection wise?
A former member
I noticed this week that GMB were heavily covering it and even sending out Richard Arnold to Tel Aviv.

Out of curiosity, what could ITV do differently that BBC couldn't selection wise?

Record companies would be much more willing to get involved if there was potential to make money out of it, which I’m guessing they can’t do with the BBC. With ITV in control there would be a lot more money in the mix, whereas I imagine the BBC are very restricted in what they can fork out.
MA
madmusician
It's the televisual direction aspect of the British entry that I don't get. Why have they never tried anything remotely interesting? It was just a load of mid-shots with the odd wide and odd close up. Other countries used CGI/DVE effects to brilliant use, quick whip pans, quick cuts, etc. Our staging and TV shooting was like something from the 90s. I mean, I think the song was crap too, don't get me wrong, but they should come up with something better in terms of staging and shooting. Is it a money thing? Why do our delegation always appear to be spectacularly uncreative when it comes to these aspects?

Re. Rylan, I particularly liked his use of the term 'delegation' as part of his spiel - that gave him away as a true fan!
Tumble Tower and Jon gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
The BBC need to get a kick in the ass, and try to boost their Eurovision selection process. However as one person said last night on Twitter, even if they had Harry Styles representing the UK in 2020, Harry might scrape 22nd.

Harry isn't that great a singer. 25th if he's lucky.

It's about being confident and proud of our selection. I don't think there is an act where we've genuinely thought we might have a realistic chance of winning since the 90s. If you go in hoping to get on the left of the leaderboard the best you're going to get it the bottom right. You need to go in playing to win to have any chance of getting close to the top ten.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
The selection shows are not the problem. They should perhaps be higher profile but the audience can only pick from a handful of typically beige songs that are put before them. It's what is going on behind the scenes prior to that point that is the problem.

Why are we unable to get creative song writers / composers with original ideas to come forward. Then why don't we seem to get the right creatives on board to do something with the staging & presentation. Our productions are never ambitious or stand out.

Is it that we are not getting those sort of entries, or are they being weeded out by the panel of 'experts' for some reasons. Is it funding? Are we too cautious in our approach? There needs to be some ambition restored in this process.

It's now a greater risk to put out something middle of the road than go all out with something totally different.
GM
Gary McEwan
Now that Måns lives in the UK, we could end up send him and still end up finishing at the bottom...
A former member
Now that Måns lives in the UK, we could end up send him and still end up finishing at the bottom...

Rolling Eyes
BR
Brekkie
Ratings - basically higher than any entertainment show other than Strictly and BGT. And incredibly steady through a 4 hour + show finishing after midnight, with the average at 6.9m and peak at 7.7m. Be interesting to know when that peak was - traditionally I think it's during the voting.

Newer posts