The Newsroom

BBC News Channel Presentation - 21/03/16 onwards

Split from BBC News Channel General Discussion (March 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AN
Andrew Founding member
I don’t know if people still try and avoid the results to watch MOTD highlights but if they do, they will won’t have liked that.

“Can Man City do the treble, join us after the news”
The BBC News now, with Kate Silverton
“Man City win the FA Cup”

Kate will be making a mental note to book this week next year off.
RN
Rolling News
I remember when Simon McCoy done it a few years ago. Comedy gold.
RO
rob Founding member
NE
News96
I remember when Simon McCoy done it a few years ago. Comedy gold.

That would have been 2015 when the late news started bang on midnight causing him to say good morning!
watchingtv, Lou Scannon and uktvwatcher gave kudos
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
I don’t know if people still try and avoid the results to watch MOTD highlights but if they do, they will won’t have liked that.

Surely it's common sense to note that if there is a news bulletin after Eurovision and it was FA Cup day (and the Treble was in the offering) it was almost certainly going to have top billing regardless of who won, and therefore that begs the question of why would one continue to watch a news bulletin if they're waiting for the highlights programme?
NE
News96
Hopefully next year they will go back to the FA Cup final and Eurovision being separate weekends.
JF
JF World News
But then you don't want to clash with Monaco Grand Prix/Indy 500, but then you could put the FA cup in the evening
BR
Brekkie

Surely it's common sense to note that if there is a news bulletin after Eurovision and it was FA Cup day (and the Treble was in the offering) it was almost certainly going to have top billing regardless of who won, and therefore that begs the question of why would one continue to watch a news bulletin if they're waiting for the highlights programme?

It was the very first line of the bulletin and on air during the scheduled slot for the highlights.

Really though MOTD should have been scheduled earlier on BBC2 and arguably given the gap between the bulletins perhaps the news bulletin should have been to.
BR
Brekkie
Hopefully next year they will go back to the FA Cup final and Eurovision being separate weekends.

I guess with the Champions League final still two weeks away many European leagues have the cup finals of their own competitions next week, which ruled that out.
SW
Steve Williams

No! It was a brilliant day, would only have been better had we had a never-ending penalty shoot-out in the Cup Final.

Really though MOTD should have been scheduled earlier on BBC2 and arguably given the gap between the bulletins perhaps the news bulletin should have been to.

There was no need to do MOTD any earlier, if it was a normal MOTD it would have been important (and they have done that before when it clashed) but it wasn't, it was highlights of a match that had already been on in primetime and was probably just a contractual obligation anyway.

There was no problem with Saturday's schedule, it was an incredibly quiet news day (the fact the Cup Final was the top story illustrates that) so it didn't matter it was only really late. Was great fun. ITV's was only on half an hour earlier and they weren't even showing anything live!
SS
SuperSajuuk
Mishal Husain (sp?) presenting a weekday non-Bank Holiday edition of the News at Six today. I guess there will be a lot of staffing changes as we near the Thursday election stuff.
AS
AlexS

No! It was a brilliant day, would only have been better had we had a never-ending penalty shoot-out in the Cup Final.

There was no need to do MOTD any earlier, if it was a normal MOTD it would have been important (and they have done that before when it clashed) but it wasn't, it was highlights of a match that had already been on in primetime and was probably just a contractual obligation anyway.

There was no problem with Saturday's schedule, it was an incredibly quiet news day (the fact the Cup Final was the top story illustrates that) so it didn't matter it was only really late. Was great fun. ITV's was only on half an hour earlier and they weren't even showing anything live!

The ITV bulletin ended up being almost an hour earlier rather than 30 minutes as you claim. The bigger issue with the timings of the news is arguably the length of time that it left between the 2 bulletins which could well have led to not insignificant overtime payments and other additional costs. The fact is though that we fail year after year in eurovision and don't even seem to be making much effort so if anything it should be eurovision that is moved to BBC2 to allow BBC1 to run with a relatively normal schedule.

Newer posts